Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Metallic clunk on off the accelerator pedal, 9-3 tdi 2008.

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  1093frank 
#1 ·
Evening all.

Have a metallic sounding clunk when changing gear, can also make it clunk on and off the accelerator, not so loud but annoying now I know it is there.
Took a look at the engine mounts, they are ok.
Thought it may be gearbox back lash but decided against it.
Just had a twist on the drive shafts and found a little play in each on the cv joints both sounding metallic.

I guess packing with cv lubricant may help short term, so my question is has anyone replaced the cv joints on their drive shafts?
I can easily get units from ebay, but they may be just the same.

Thanks for replies.

Frank

#3 ·
DMF changed last year, new drop links, could be struts I suppose.

I can make it clunk on/off accelerator when clutch fully engaged and driving. Have decided to repack cv joints anyway (not to much) if the noise disappears for a while then this may be the cause, will take me a few days to get the correct lubricant.

Will post back my findings.

#4 ·
Re-charged the cv joints although I was going off this as a cause, went over all the engine mounting bolts all ok.
Put it in first gear and rocked the car forward and reverse, heard the clunk.
Jacked up the nearside front and rotated the wheel clockwise/anticlockwise, could hear a tinny rattle noise towards the engine, think now it is the DMF.

Clutch changed 13 months and 20,000 miles ago, good quality LUK.

I did not do it (first clutch ever not done by myself) Garage contacting supplier to see about warranty. 13 months probably not! think it has been clunking slightly for months.
Guy at garage wants to play for himself to make sure.
Hopefully it is just the flywheel and all other parts ok, labour we can probably do a deal !! we will see.

#6 ·
It was the inboard drive shaft on the drivers side. This unit is splined into the outboard drive shafts which are the same for both sides.

The male/female spline was greased up and refitted, noise gone completely, may return but I know what it is now so no problem.

Took two bodies to find the sound with car up on the ramp, bit annoyed I did not find it after playing with all the drive shafts.

Mechanic/owner had never come across it before so he was quite excited, did not even want to take payment but that is not right so gave him £50 and a package of beer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.