Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Cleaning up interior metal trim

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lawbeaker 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have a 54 plate Saab 9-3 Vector Sport. Inside of the doors, steering wheel and on the gear stick surround is (what looks like) some brushed aluminium trim. It looks ok but its a bit aged and oxidized (not rusty though).

Is there anything that you would recommend to clean it up with to get it looking like new. The doors are better than the gear surround and that's what bothers me most as it is a central focal point of the interior.

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Al

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as im aware buddy there isnt a cleaner to bring them back up to remove the scratches really the only thing you can do is repaint them.

Im likely to buy a hydro dipping kit to restore the same trim as you, although I may have to sand the gear knob top and repaint that. Should be doing mine in really high gloss carbon fibre similar to the Hirsch optional trim pack. The kit comes with about 5 meters worth of vinyl so if your happy with how mine comes out I could restore yours to. As i doubt I have 5 meters worth of stuff I need hydro dipping lmao :D

#3 ·
thanks for the advice and offer funky. It's weird, they are not scratched but blotchy, if that makes sense... I'll take a picture later and upload it.'t like whenyouhe marks on your stainless steel cooker/hob but it is clean...

I've seen the Hirsch trim before (in pictures) and it does look pretty darn good! I'm not the most "handy" person, but I assume that taking off the trim is relatively easy. Although I also assume you can't take it off the steering wheel?

#4 ·
Your more than welcome mate, but by all means take some pictures so I can see what it looks like. Mine is just covered with scratches which is from the past owner. It probably wouldnt bother 80% of people but Im the 20% :)

At least it isnt as bad as a MK5 Golf I had the rubber paint was peeling off (very common on vags) had to strip all the trim off the car and rub it down with nail varnish remover and sprayed it all gloss black. The major head ache was from the nail varnish remover nasty stuff that!

Yer from what I can see taking the trim off looks fairly simple. Ill post up a how to when I get around to doing mine, I invested in a soft nylon trim removal kit off eBay for a few quick and thats saved many a trim as well as many a mothers bent kitchen buttering knives :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.