wanting a 9-5 aero HOT wagon - maybe?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wanting a 9-5 aero HOT wagon - maybe?

wanting a 9-5 aero HOT wagon - maybe?

hey everybody,

currently driving a boring vectra sxi DTi - and i want or at least i think i want a 9-5 aero hot wagon (250bhp version).

Just wanted to ask you guys how they drive, are they just a straight line monster or can they be adapted and tinkered with to go around a bend aswell? (iv seen the billstein kit & 35 lowering springs available).

The idea is that i will have a big spacious motor for weekend/after work use and then something i can have a spirited run out in and the odd track day aswell so sort of in the balance and thats how the car would be setup to!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Re: wanting a 9-5 aero HOT wagon - maybe?

iamneallyons,

Just go for it. They are one of the ultimate 'Q' cars. Certainly go exceedingly well in a straight line, but they go round corners as well. The Aero suspension is lower and stiffer than the standard and still gives a compliant, comfortable ride without being harsh. Not sure how recent a version you are after but older ones are probably ripe for some bush replacement. Front ARB bushes are worth changing for poly but are difficult to do with the subframe in place. If you need subframe bushes replacing then do the ARBs at the same time. At the back the swing arm bushes get tired as do the 'banana' arm ones. Seems that there are a lot of cheap, low quality ones for the latter available and are worth avoiding.

As you say, lots of stiffening / lowering kits available. I'd be loath to lower the Aero any more unless you like getting intimate with speed bumps. New shocks might be worth it though. Have a look at Abbott Racing kit. They know a lot about making Saabs corner.

Paul @ Kippen

Quote Originally Posted by paul anderson View Post
    iamneallyons,

Just go for it. They are one of the ultimate 'Q' cars. Certainly go exceedingly well in a straight line, but they go round corners as well. The Aero suspension is lower and stiffer than the standard and still gives a compliant, comfortable ride without being harsh. Not sure how recent a version you are after but older ones are probably ripe for some bush replacement. Front ARB bushes are worth changing for poly but are difficult to do with the subframe in place. If you need subframe bushes replacing then do the ARBs at the same time. At the back the swing arm bushes get tired as do the 'banana' arm ones. Seems that there are a lot of cheap, low quality ones for the latter available and are worth avoiding.

As you say, lots of stiffening / lowering kits available. I'd be loath to lower the Aero any more unless you like getting intimate with speed bumps. New shocks might be worth it though. Have a look at Abbott Racing kit. They know a lot about making Saabs corner.

Paul @ Kippen
    well your reply is certainly the type of answer i wanted, i really would like to make it into a fast road/occasional track day sort of motor - iv heard about an upgrade to the ECU that will push 270bhp aswell???

You don't say which country you are in, but if you are in rip off Britain bear in mind that the Automatic 9-5 costs an eye watering £495 per year to tax, and there seem to be a lot more of them than the manuals.
    As a result the manuals are more expensive and more sought after. Just be aware as it could be an expensive mistake !

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threa...Aero-2008-Auto...

Thnk you will find the tax +450 for post 2006/7 Aero HOT auto's as opposed to the manual, one of the resons they are cheap to buy, this applies to a lot of performance saloons and estates, not just Saab

We do not stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.

Re wanting a 9-5 Hot Aero
    I have a 2002 saloon auto I am selling. Retirement (and wife) forces sale! Petefoster

Saab Newbie

Go for It! I used to have a 2008 260 bhp auto, but the tax was severe. So I bought a 2004 250 bhp auto Estate Instead. Interestingly the latter car is hard to remap but the earlier version isn't. I had it re-mapped to 280 and put on LPG. The turbo runs at 2 bar but the LPG is limited to 1.3, but when I want to play I just switch off the gas. So for an outlay of about £5k I have a car which can kill just about everything on the road and still return the equivalent of 50 MPG! Oh how I love playing with the BMW and Audi Reps! If you get one make sure you buy a new seal kit and drop the sump - use the proper red Saab sump sealant as other stuff breaks off inside the sump and chokes the filter. The main issue with early engine death is build up of crud in the sump filter which chokes the oil supply to the head. Later cars are better. And always use an original oil filter and Saab GM Dextron oil.

This looks quite nice for the money, and one of the very last ones too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-5-2...item27ed113a4d

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread