Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

TTiD Random overheating?

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  gt30 
#1 ·
This morning on my usual run to work at the point where the engine is usually almost warm, the temperature gauge suddenly climbed pretty rapidly up to nearly the top until I lifted off, at which point it dropped back down to normal. Later in the same journey I was going quite fast having accelerated quite fast just before, and once again the temperature climbed right up towards red, at which point I got scared, lifted off and pulled over, expecting clouds of steam. But instead, at idle, the temperature gauge settled pretty quickly back down to centre. I opened the bonnet and there's plenty of coolant in the reservoir, and on the way home I tried to reproduce the issue by going increasingly high on the revs, but temperature stayed normal all the way home.

Any idea what's going on there?

#5 ·
It didn't happen at all today, though the engine did seem to heat up slightly quicker than usual this evening. If it happens again I'll take a look at the coolant, ta.

I know it sounds odd, but is there any way this could have an effect on any other systems, as I swear the power steering and brakes have been feeling a bit underpowered during the last couple of days?

#7 ·
Seems about normal given the outside temperature, ~44.8 mpg. Don't know if it is coincidence but all of this started happening shortly after I accelerated over a bunch of potholes the other day - made a couple of nasty banging sounds on the OSF so was wondering if something came loose or broke. The steering just feels a bit odd, like it requires slightly more turning of the steering wheel to turn the car.

#8 ·
I would get the sterring geometry and front suspension checked as soon as possible , cos if you hit some potholes and things ant felt right since then , then get it checked as soon as possible ! Knowing what pot holes are like ! My other half lost her fiat 500 down a pothole . It took a team of cave rescuers the get it out !

#11 ·
Fans don't kick in at idle after driving for a while beforehand, no, but then again since that one journey the temperature gauge has been behaving itself again.

There's no noise from the suspension, but the steering feels weird, like it's taking more slip angle to get the same level of grip, and the front end generally less pointy than it was, yet it's somehow slightly less steady in a straight line - gives me the impression something's happened to the suspension or steering geometry.

#12 ·
If it was me I would get the sterring and suspension checked toot sweet !
If my car was feeling weird after a pot hole incident . I'd take to a tyre place that can do sterring geometry checks and get them to give it the once over , for my own piece of mind .

#13 ·
Ok, "overheating" happened again, exactly the same - outside temperature 9 degrees, joined the motorway with engine still cold, set cruise control at 2000 rpm until warm, then upped to 2250 for a couple of minutes cruising on an empty road - suddenly, temperature gauge starts climbing, so I dab the brakes, cruise control disengages, temperature gauge drops _immediately_ down to just below middle. I climb back up to speed and all fine for 20 mins.

So then I take the exit to an A road, accelerate hard up to speed, set the cruise control as before, and after a minute or so the temp gauge climbs again, so I touch the brakes again and it drops instantly back down, then I get back up to speed, no further problem. Weird, huh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.