Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

excess cabin smoke.

Tags
excess smoke
7K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  davids456 
#1 ·
I have a 1.9tid 8v 2005. I have dpf delete. The problem is I have been suffering excess cabin smoke for a while. i get a lot during my first startup in the morning. i also get it when the car is sitting idle. its really starting to bug the living **** out of me. i know this isn't probably related but when i reverse i get excessive smoke coming out the exhaust. I checked the flexi pipe and it looks in great condition.

#7 · (Edited)
took the heat shield partly off today.(broke 1 of the bottom screws and the 1 in the middle). the manifold(front cat) looks in decent condition. started the car while up in the ramps (front wheels) and noticed a cloud of smoke coming from the engine. went under the car and sniffing about the fumes seem to be coming from the exhaust manifold area. would it be worth replacing the gasket at that point.

#8 ·
Check the EGR pipe that comes from the turbo (concertina pipe with a fabric type sleeve over it) mine has holes in it, that couldn't been visually seen until i cut the sleeve off and took a wire brush to the pipe and then the holes appeared...stuck some fire gum on as a temp repair...which has sealed it for the moment...
Going to blank mine off at source...well as soon as I can get the stripped screws out that are holding the pipe onto the turbo.,

#14 ·
I got a gasket cheap enough from ebay for between 10 and 20 notes, for my DTH but turned out that the gasket wasn't at fault, instead its the EGR cooler pipework thats perforated on mine...my choice being attempt to remove the bolts or try to mig the cooler pipework...

#17 ·
I reckon its the gasket as its coming from the front of the engine. the egr cooler on mine goes from the right hand side to the back of the engine. I reckon this is beyond me. my neck is still stiff from trying to get the heat plate off lol. how many hours labour do you reckon a garage would take to replace the gasket.

#18 ·
got quoted £100 from a garage today to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. I mentioned to him that my turbo is leaking oil and he said theres a company he uses that would fix the seals for £140.
could I get away with putting some exhaust across the area that's leaking for the time being.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.