Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

DPF automatic regen

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  longer 
#1 ·
Hi can anyone tell me gear selection and speed and for how many miles is needed for a automatic DPF regen ? thanx

#4 · (Edited)
I can make my 9-3 TiD regen by driving it in 4th (it's an auto so I use the tip function) at a steady 60mph for 10 miles or so. You can tell when it's doing it - the DTE figure on the SID drops down dramatically, the car feels a little bit 'rough' - not significantly but you can tell the difference, and if you happen to need to slow down during the process, you can get a whiff of a diesel exhaust smell.

If it does an automatic regen it seems to be independent of road speed or engine temp. If it needs to regen it will do it! I too have noticed this from cold and at urban traffic speeds. If it does a regen while moving only slowly it is quite noticeable. The idle revs increase slightly, the car feels to be running a little rough (a bit like a petrol car running rich), the DTE plummets, and if stood still, you'll get a bit of the smell of very hot diesel exhaust around the car.

If I don't initiate a regen once a week or so mine will do it automatically roughly every tankful - say 500 to 600 miles.

Jack

#6 ·
thanks for all the replies.Kez the reason is its (1.9tid 150bhp) starting to run like shite when it gets hot and ive read all the threads on this and seems to me its egr, map sensor, maf sensor, dpf or swirl flaps im a total novice to this so ive armed myself with a haynes manual and getting the rest of my ammunition off you experts p.s. so will it regen itself

#7 ·
reason I asked lol and yes your thinking on right lines

well worth giving egr a good clean this weekend if you get time..........you should see an improvement

then you can look at things like throttle body maf map etc

any advice just ask..... plenty of it on here

#11 ·
This weekend cleaned egr valve map sensor and throttle body (took for ever to find the 3rd bolt) had to get garage to fit fuel filter no ramps yet.Car is so more responsive, i havent took it on a massive long drive yet but got temp half way no problems as yet p.s. egr valve was caked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.