Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

automatic problem

Tags
automatic
7K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  streetweapon 
#1 ·
i own a 1998 s plate saab 95, i have a problem with check gearbox light, replaced automatic gearbox oil which was grey / black, with new red oil, took it to my local garage and had the light turned off. took it for a run, check gearbox light back on, and oil is grey / black. do i replace the oil again, and is there a oil filter for the automatic transmission? thanks:thumbsup:

#2 ·
Hi and welcome.

ask the garage how they changed it did they remove all the oil, usually this is done by a machine that suck the oil out.

Otherwise it takes around 3 drops of the oil to completely change it - it holds 12L (approx) i believe.

TBH if the oil is black/grey then that is a real bad sign and probably a fooked gearbox.

#3 · (Edited)
not good, :( garage didn't change the oil, i did it myself. i undid the transmission sump bolt and drained it till no more came out, refit bolt and refill with new tranny oil (valvoline), could the oil be black / grey cos it hasn't been changed for a long time? or is there a possibility the gearbox has been fooked?:confused: thanks

#4 ·
you'll need to repeat several 3) times to change all of the oil or close to all of it., make sure you use the right spec oil though dependant on your gearbox, not just any auto fluid! :)

TBH if the oil from an auto comes out any colour other than red then it indicates the box is shagged...I hope i am proved wrong.

Good luck and update this thread.

#9 ·
1500 to do what exactly?

Neo's sell new boxes for around 1500.00. Given the colour of your oil i would go this route or even a s/h box for a couple of hundred quid.

if they are saying its the solenoid pack then try these guys - arodds garage wales

01516381384 - peter

#15 ·
changed oil today again, refilled to correct level, took it for a spin, sport mode, kickdown working, check gearbox light still on. 5 minutes in, limp home mode activated, pulled over switched off, restarted drove home, sport mode, kickdown working again, light still on. :confused:

#20 ·
check the selector linkage is correct and adjusted properly, check oil level again. your initial problem sounded like a stcuk solenoid, so, sounds like you have cleared that this is a new fault and likely to do with install imho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.