Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Tyres trial

Tags
trial
37K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  department27 
#1 ·
O.k need a new set for the front unfortunately the good year assy2's have reached end of life although cant fault they worn very quick.

Was speaking to the tyre supplier we use and he suggested a economy cheapo :eek: to which i laughed any how a bit of banter he suggested i try a pair and agreed fo me to do so free of charge so laughing i agreed:)

He suggested that i could try a pair of the following

Linglong................wont live long
Landsail.................sailing on land
Jinyu..........no name come to mind immediate

So opted to try a set of jinyu yu63 upgrade to yu61 in 235 45 17 97w so we will see how we get on lol

So the deal if i like them after 6months i pay for them 86pounds as fitting myself if not he will discount against a tyre of my choice. Initially cant go wrong he says

I am a great believer of decent tyres though as its all that keeps you on the road although i do think we are brainwashed in the uk towards top end makers but that doesnt mean i feel economy tyres are any better at all, one thing to remember is that all tyre in uk meet relevant approvals but again doent mean they will keep you on the road, so this will give me the perfect oppurtunity to either prove me right or wrong

Will update as time goes on

One thing forgot to mention they come with a life guarantee whether this is to put them forward in the market standing by there product i dont know

See less See more
#2 ·
Thought you where going for the syrons?

Be interested to hear how you get on the 61's get a suprisingly good review. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Jinyu/YU61.htm

My fronts are now almost down to the wear bars....

"Jinyu" is the Chinese translation for the sound you ring piece makes as you are rapidly heading uncontrollably for the Armco or hedge in the wet... ;)

#5 ·
Thought you where going for the syrons?
I was mate but when I rang tyre traders and mentioned syrons.............he replied no cant beat everyone else price £60 before I mentioned anything, he then went on to say there is a back order from Germany and they aint got my size in stock and said other companies selling if I read the add said from Germany so chance would have to take and they just being honest with me
BUMMER:(

#3 ·
it will be useful to know what you think,

i currently have evergreens on mine at around £70 a tyre and to be honest i dont feel a difference between them and the likes of the Pirelli p6000's and even back in the day when they were the dealers own Continental Sport Contact 2's i think they were (£150 each) i had too much money back then lol

i'm sure anyone can blind with you with paper statistics about each make of tyre and why one is better than the other and perhaps if i was a motorway driver and driving at 80 - 90mph a lot then the more expensive known brand may be better, but since my daily driving averages at around 15 miles all town based with occasional motorway journeys as im less than a mile from the M5 so its sometimes easier to jump on and off to go to places, the car still feels solid on the road and i currently see no reason to pay the higher prices for a brand name

i still feel comfortable driving in torrential raining conditions and dont feel it slip at all, only thing i haven't really tried yet with these is proper snow / ice as it was a very mild winter last year

you mention a life guarantee, what sort of guarantee do they give as i have only ever changed a tyre in my life because of low tread or i have a screw in it and they say they can not fix it?

#9 ·
I'm sticking to my Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. Ok, so not at the cheapest end of the market, but they are superb in the wet and I've not had a slip on them over the last few days in all the rain we've had.

I've just replaced an eight year old spare tyre with one of these in the link. As it will only ever be used as a spare, I'm not worried about any reviews negative or otherwise:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s292...Eff_:_G_Wet_Grip:_C_NoiseClass:_3_Noise:_74dB

#10 ·
the new RS3 can be had for around £75 plus fitting weird looking tyre (directional and assy) had rs2's on the back but they miss shaped, I think the general thought of rs2's is a mixed bag

only trying these jinyu because free to try and convert me lol

#11 ·
I had an evergreen EU72 on the front of my DTI vauxhall vectra estate...brilliant grip but it wore heavily in under 13K miles...
Stuck an Autogrip (new model and dual C ratings on) and thus far pretty impressed (well until the clutch slave failed (wondered why it felt like I was driving on ice that day...no wonder..clutch fluid lubricating the tyre tread...then total loss of clutch pressure...)

Though have my eye on a set of Dunlop blu-response tyres...seem to get a good review and BA rating...price isn't bad either..

#13 ·
There were two new Primewell 910 Sport tyres fitted to the front of my 9-3 when I bought it last year - the dealer had fitted them prior to the sale. They did around 13,000 miles on the front and by then were down to around 4mm, so I put them on the back and had two new Cooper Zeon CS6 tyres put on the front. One of the Primewells punctured yesterday and so this morning I needed at least one new tyre. As both Primewells were down to 2mm I replaced them both with Coopers. I've had Coopers on several cars over a few years now, and I do rate them. These worked out at just under £90 each (they are 235/45/17) which I think is a pretty good price. Cooper tyres are I think UK made - they are part of the Avon company.

So as for the Primewells, I'd guess without the puncture I'd have got around 20,000 miles out of them, with a swap front to back. I think that they are a little noisier than the Coopers, and I reckon that 20,000 miles out of a set of tyres is at the bottom end of acceptability, although as I'm learning, the 9-3 has a bit of an appetite for tyres.

I looked at a couple of on-line suppliers and it seems as though Primewell 910 and Cooper CS6 are much of a muchness price-wise.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Jack

#14 ·
My Aero had a Hi-Fly's on the front and Jinju's on the rear (or maybe the other way rond) when I first bought it. I was horrified. I was going to replace them immediately if not sooner. But guess what, they we're actually OK. I didn't crash off the road and die in a ball of fire at the first corner. They were surprisingly grippy in the dry and OK in the wet. Most surprisingly, they were quiet. Quieter than the Falken ZE914's that replaced them and quieter than the Kumho's on my son's car.

So, why didn't I buy them again? Well... there's was a bit of the "ultimately they're cheap ditchfinders" in the back of my mind but mainly I had to add air to the f**kers every week, every bloody week they'd lose 2 or 3 lbs of pressure. It was like they all had a slow puncture (though to be fair one did have a slow puncture, that just went down slightly quicker than the others :D). Have never had to do that with any tyres before or since. Oh, that and the Jinju's aren't actually much cheaper that better known budget brands and Event Tyres don't supply them (or Hi-Fly's).

#15 ·
Hi Kez
Be interested to see how this works out for you. I am getting some 225/45r17 Jinyu YU63's on friday and for bedevilment am putting them on the front. I wonder if we will both think the same of them! Up to now I have always gone with high end Goodyears but financial constraints have reared their ugly head, I hope I am not disappointed.
Paul

#17 ·
Well two 225/45r17 Jinyu YU63's fitted to my 2010 9-3 ttid 160, on the front and about 700 miles travelled in an assortment of weathers including a torrential downpour and on assortment of road types from motorway through to some single track metalled routes that are local to me.

So far they are slightly quieter than the old tyres, continental sport contact 3s, and seem to behave very similarly. The main difference is £52. instead of £107. In terms of driving style I have to say I drive very sedately so have no idea if these tyres will push to the limit and really don't need to find out. I seem to have gained a couple of extra mpg according to the trip computer and I did a emergency stop in the wet weather and they seemed ok at that too.

This is all very non empirical and subjective but I will definitely buy two more when the time comes to renew. They also look good on the vehicle. Recommended.

#19 ·
I switched from Conti contact4 to Maxxiss. Half the price, same mileage on fronts (10+k) Rears now done 25k no sign yet of how long to go. 40-50k I guess
Had a puncture due to a nail. Took it to supplier. Free repair as per Maxxiss warranty.
Very quiet with better grip than Conti.
Will never switch back.

#20 ·
One thing that struck me when shopping around was that Black Circles have gone from having a wide selection and very good prices to the exact opposite and being beaten hands down on price. Shame.

Heres another on line tore offering reasonable options and prices, reviews seem good to!
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

I wonder if we do a sticky with reccommendations of tyres and suppliers on here somewhere?

#21 ·
Right then, after a lot (and i do mean a lot) of research i have made my decision. given my car is heavy, relatively quick and powerful and handles well (or at least needs to and tyres are an important part of this) + it is used for family transport i have gone for the following:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-KU39.htm in 225/45/17/94(xl)W for £305.00 supplied and fitted so £76.00 a corner all in. Yes, i could have bought something cheaper but these are a decent brand (not the best but these are outperforming a lot of better tyres) and the tyre gets good reviews.

Being fitted this afternoon & will report back once i have a few miles on them.

#23 ·
I priced up t1-R's and got to about the same figure as you have Jon after shopping around but decided against due to the weight of the Saab of all things, i'l elaborate, Had Toyos for years mostly t1's then the t1-r on cars and always found them very good and comparble with the old Goodyear F1 GS-D2's which was an epic tyre and probably the best 'production' wet grip tyre ever made. T1-R's currently have fitted to the MR2 and have had for 18 months now. paid silly cheap money for them i think around 55.00 a corner fitted - fronts and rears are staggered so it worked out to about that. the only thing is that to get the best out of them they need to be overinflated by +6lbs over the std highest recommended for them to actually come alive otherwise they the squirm about and give poor grip - i read up about this first on an MR2 forum and they reckoned the t1-r was brilliant on an MR2 if you did this and they are absolutely right its like chalk and cheese. Running them overinflated on such a light car (950kgs) isn't an issue from a wear pov.

With this in mind i didn't want to put them on the Saab as i did not fancy running them overinflated on a much heavier car and risk prematurely wearing them plus the ride is firm enough as it is.

#24 ·
be Interesting on jons opinion as he,s had them on a while I believe, although for similar reasons to the zohans is why I didn't go that route and Ashley was reluctant to put them on his 2.4 156 although he sings highly of Toya
we have T1r's on the SR2 but as with the mr2 they only have a puff of air in them, and in defence to toya they perform extremely well on car pushing nearly 500bhp per ton around a track, they can spin up but that can be said for any tyre given the power to weight ratio of the car.

#25 ·
What i found odd about the toyo reviews is that they get an Euro 'E' rating for wet grip. The Kohmos i chose are a 'B' incidentally

My experiences of the T1-R's is that inflated properly they are easily a match for the best of the best. I have had them on an Impreza Turbo (actually T1's before the 'R'einforced came out), Galant VR4, Puma and now the MR2 and they have been bloody good and certianly not worthy of such a low rating.

TBH i read so many reviews and blew hot and cold on a lot of tyres, a lot of the reviews had to be taken with a pinch of salt anyhow and what was needed was to sort the 'educated opinions' from the rubbish. I am by no means a tyre anorak but have owned a few quick cars over the years and take an interest in the only part of the car that should be in continuous contact with the road. With that in mind some of the reviews where written by people without a clue which is all well and good ( everybody is entitled to an opinion of course) but often misleading - e.g. reporting that they had covered a couple of hundred miles and they tyres slipped all over the place - hardly surprising given it usually takes a few hundred to strip off the release compound used to separate the casing from the moulding machine during manufacturing....etc. etc. I looked at the Syron Race 1plus, tbh i liked the tread pattern and 'B' rating for wet performance and the price at £64.00 fitted but could only find a few mixed reviews and am not in a financial position to buy and fit them to find out they are not that good and find the money for another 4 better tyres so discounted them on that basis, which i then did for a quite a few other tyres as well before settling on the Kumho's which had something like 128 reviews on tyrereviews.com and mostly good i erred on the side of caution! I just hope it will prove to be a wise choice.

#26 ·
I'm on my second set of T1R's,with tyres i don't bother with reviews I try them if they do what they're suppose to do at the speeds I drive at in the wet/dry and keep me and the car on the black stuff I 'll use them again.If not I move on to another..

#27 ·
Be careful with the Kumho's. They seem to grip well, but feedback on the limit is extremely poor and they break away quickly. So day to day they will feel good, but when you need them, they can be very unpredictable and hard to get back if they do go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.