Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

EGR I'm guessing....

34K views 144 replies 7 participants last post by  kez 
#1 ·
On the way to a friends house last night I took the motorway to try and perform the DPF regen (ordinarily only do 4 mile journeys....short commute), anyway @ 70 the engine light came on and there has been a massive loss of power below 3k rpm.

Sometimes the turbo kicks in other times it feels like I've replaced the 1.9TiD with a 1Ltr Fiesta engine!!

I'm guessing reading previous posts that it's going to be the EGR, been quoted £188+VAT for the EGR and half an hour fitting.

Question I have is, is it worth buying a new EGR (50k mile 16v Vector) or removing and cleaning the old one....and/or do it myself or pay a garage to do it....?

At half an hour's quoted labour it can't be a difficult job?!!

#4 ·
Hi Nathan,

I've only owned it for about 2 months so for sure definitely not.

Cold starting problems have begun and I've felt the boost waver a few times mainly in 3rd from gentle to hard throttle.

Will I need a new gasket for the EGR?

Not sure about the swirl flap bar, need a crash course in saab maintenance I think especially as I'm not using the diesel as god intended with all of the short journeys...

#5 ·
Sorry £118+vat....keyboard dyslexia....

Oh and Nathan if you guys are pretty certain it's the EGR I'd be happy to save myself some dosh and buy yours..I have some ratchet skills so I can fit it.

However, if I do fit it wont I need to get the ECL reset?

Are there any friendly members in West Mids who could assist in that...perhaps someone with a Maptun box too....or is that just cheeky??

#12 ·
before you go worrying toooo much lol may i suggest i few things

1 remove and clean egr with mr muscle, or buy nates(i have 75% of his selling value lol) tbh its worth having a spare in the boot anyway and i will vouch for nates stuff and at that price cant go wrong

2 remove and clean throttle body again mr muscle or brake/carb cleaner

3 remove and clean map sensor taking care not to poke at actual sensor use something blunt i.e matchstick to get the gunk surrounding it off once you see the sensor clean with electrical contact cleaner by squirting at it

4 remove and clean maf sensor again using electrical contact cleaner and squiting it over actual sensor

5 check obvious vacuum pipes for leaks perished or split pipes

6 disconnect battery 15min or so good time for a cuppa lol

7 reconnect start and alow to idle 10min or so to relearn idle settings

8 take for a test drive

shopping list....

mr muscle oven cleaner

can electrical contact cleaner £3.99 halford

can carb/brake cleaner £10 halfords

5 disconnect battery

#13 ·
yes yes no worries just worth checking things now your here !

most common things on these are swirl flaps egr and dpf issues ( the same as all modern diesels )

might as well try cure them now and with proper driving they shouldnt cause an issue !

i my self do alot of short journeys and the odd long one here and there ! but i have mapped out the issues mentioned above so its not an issue to me !
but as we all say a diesel driven properly does not cause issues !

#19 ·
lol:D

reason for it is that it works on cold surfaces as some oven cleaners work only on hot surfaces ;)

make sure you rinse off under water (avoiding electrical parts) and allow to dry then a cpl of squirts with carb cleaner will ensure all residue is gone

#24 ·
Well I followed your advice....ish...

I took it all apart as you suggested...but then I just WD40'd the hell out of it and worked it in to the mechanism...it seemed a much smoother motion once I'd done it but I'm sure it's only going to be a temporary fix.

Might buy the other one too as you recommend. See how she runs this week.

Can I cancel the ECL myself or do I need to take it to a garage?

#28 ·
Hi
I've only just joined forum as my car did exactly same thing looked at forum and did everything suggested on here eg removed and cleaned EGR , checked pipes and cleaned MAF sensor etc ect .anyway eventually took it to garage turned out to be turbo pressure transducer unit £114 for part to fix
Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.