HELP - Mechanical key won't unlock car, battery dead
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP - Mechanical key won't unlock car, battery dead

HELP - Mechanical key won't unlock car, battery dead

I accidentally left the lights on in my 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible and the battery died so (understandably) the electronic key won't unlock the car. The problem is, my mechanical key will not unlock either door (??) so I can't get in to the car to pop the hood for a jump. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator haloweenhamster's Avatar

Re: HELP - Mechanical key won't unlock car, battery dead

Call a auto locksmith or aa/rac/green flag or make a small cut in roof/smash a window

Saab Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LaraK View Post
    I accidentally left the lights on in my 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible and the battery died so (understandably) the electronic key won't unlock the car. The problem is, my mechanical key will not unlock either door (??) so I can't get in to the car to pop the hood for a jump. Any thoughts?
    I'm not familiar with the Saab locking system but I do know other marques that have 'dead locks' can be opened with the mechanical key by inserting the key and turning forcefully towards the unlock position, then try the handle whilst the key is still turned.

May be worth a try before you do any damage...

The key should work regardless of the battery situation. Is it possible that they're not the correct keys for your car? have you previously tried to open the doors with the keys?

A previous owner may have changed the ignition switch but not bothered with the door locks. You could get a new key from a dealer using your VIN. If the deadlocks are on then you still won't be able to open the doors even if you get in the car but you will be able to pop the bonnet.

I had this on my 93, I used a bent wire coat hanger and poked it down through the hood & window and managed to flick the switch on the top of the door card up. Takes a bit of patience though!

Can you open the trunk?

Guys,

Am in the same position where the manual key has stopped working in the past 24 hrs. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I have also blocked the missus in who cant get to work. Of course every locksmith in the world seems to be busy today

Saabisti

Hello there,

I had the same problem a few years ago and called a breakdown service. The result being, I had two options
    A Call an AutoLocksmith. Or...
    B The Following....
    First he said, I would need to sign a disclamer, as he would need to slightly pull the drivers side window out from the top of the soft top and insert a long hooked wire down to the bonnet release in the drivers foot well to release the bonnet catch, so he could charge the battery, and the window could shatter in the process.

I decided to let him take this route instead of the Auto Locksmith, and he managed to release the bonnet catch without the window shattering.
    He then gave the battery a boost, and the central locking worked again.

I can't understand why the key wouldn't work manually, something about the central locking needing power.

Last edited by Steph; 12-31-2012 at 01:58 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread