Help!! Car starts then dies straight away
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!! Car starts then dies straight away

Help!! Car starts then dies straight away

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Saab 9-5 SE. I have just completed a fuel pump replacement. Car was running fine for about 2 hours, It was starting first time. Now the car just starts then stops straight away. I have checked the fuel pump and it is working. What could be my problem. Obviously there is no fuel at the engine? Your advise would be very helpful.

Cheers

Ty
    Last edited by Ty1989; 07-19-2012 at 12:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help!! Car starts then dies straight away

Hi There,

It's relatively early and i haven't had enough caffeine yet!
    Are you saying you changed the pump because it ran for a couple of hours then died and since it just starts then dies???

couple of thoughts
    Pump relay faulty - switching on and then off
    clogged fuel filter or fuel line - i have had a fuel line fault where the pipe got damaged internally and a flap of the inside wall was acting like a valve and cutting the flow - sounds unlikely until it happens i know and difficult to spot.
    Water in the petrol

i would pull the petrol pipe from the entry to the fuel filter and check to see if there is pressure there and then reconnect and do the same with the exit side of the filter. Let it run for 30/60 seconds,collecting the fuel in a suitable container. if it keeps pumping steadily then pump/relay/filter OK.

Hi thanks for the advice,

No actually i replaced the fuel pump beacuse it was broken. i have put a brand new one in. And after about 2 hours of being able to turn on and off ( keeping in mind i turned it off and back in within anbout a 1 min timeframe) but it started first time. Now it does not start at all. i checked the fuel pressure valve under the bonnet and no pressure at the front, But there is pressure at the fuel pump. I just tried to take the cap off under the seat for the pump and broke the (yellow) clamp keeping the pressure valve in place so i will need to get that replaced ( any ideas). But still the car was not starting. What do you think is wrong there?

Cheers

Ty

Saab Newbie

Hi there, firstly the yellow clip that holds your fuel line in the pump is a common failing point. If fact it was a recall on the 93. you can buy a little metal clip from your local SAAB dealer for about 2. just explain to them the problem and they will give you what you need. there are other threads about it, with pictures, if you do a search :-) It sounds like your filter is clogged. It may be you have stirred up crap in the bottom of the tank when you changed your pump and its been drawn into the filter. Try what Zohan has suggested first. oh, if you drained down your fuel tank to change the pump, that might explain it. It certainly sounds like a blockage/restriction between the pump and the fuel rail.
    good luck!

Hi,

Thanx for the suggestions. I will be going through a process of elimination so the more suggestions i can get would be very helpful. Although i can do no more get that yellow clip fidex on the pressure valve. I have included a picture. Can you get a replacement yellow clip easily or is it easier to get this (metal) clip you are talking about? I have been getting my spare parts from (Saab-parts.com.au) in Victoria. I live in Gold Coast Australia?

saab 9-5 Fuel line.jpg

Saab Newbie

sorry Ty, I live in scotland and i'm not too familiar with Oz. I got my fuel line retaining clip from a local dealer. I have seen it for sale online, but i can't remember where. As i said it was a recall part on the 93, if you phone saab-parts.com.au they may be able to help you.
    good luck

Saab Newbie

Oh, see this thread on saab central. it shows a nice picture of the retaining clip. i made one from a bit of mild steel plate, so i could drive to my dealer and get the real thing. to be honest i think my home made one would still be ok 6 months on. but i prefer to have genuine parts on my baby. lol

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=192864

9. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread