Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

9-5 touchscreen sat-nav update

90K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  dijkvr 
#1 ·
There seems to be a fair amount of confusion about sat-nav update disks and which other-makes disks will work in the various SAAB models.
I have a 2008MY 9-5 Aero Turbo Edition Estate with the Denso Touchscreen unit (CD slot at top, volume knob and buttons down the left side). The original DVD is Denso Product No 464210-6880, dated 2007 with NavTeq 2006 mapping.
I have read on different forums that current (2011-12) Landrover disks are compatible but also that a post-2008 disk must be run first to update the software. Can anyone confirm this, preferably someone who has actually tried it?

#2 ·
Yes, the latest Landrover (RR) DVD works fine, or a good quality copy !
The Saab 95 denso navi system needs a firmware update if the latest DVD the unit has operated with has a part nr equal to or lower than saab part nr. 12767415 (2005/2006 DVD)
All units from 2005/2006 first need that update otherwise the latest DVD does not work.
I have tested this many times and have helped Saab owners from 2005/ 2006 map data to 2011 maps including the firmware update !
The 2011/2012 maps also work on the kenwood dv3200 unit of the 2004/2005 Saabs , without any need for firmware update.
Let me know if there are 95-ers who want to get up to date.

#3 ·
I have a MY'04 9-5 2.2 TiD Estate with the Kenwood SVT-M700 touch screen unit (Same as KNA-DV2200), and have not been able to find a solution to updating the software. Although it is a kenwood unit it uses a Denso disc (2003). I contacted Denso who referred me to Navteq, who referred me to Saab. (No way I'm paying Saab £400 for a disc!). Any suggestions would be welcome.
Gordon

#4 ·
I am pretty sure that the DV2200 in your car can also be replaced by the DV3200 and works plug and play on the monitor the dv2200 was connected to. Powercable, antenna and connector to the touch screen unit are all identical. It is a 10 minute job to exchange them. I have done this on several older Saab''s from 2004 who were provided with the DV2200.
the DV3200 uses the same Map DVD as the lates Dame Etna Saab''s use up to 2009 (ie Landrover DVD)
A DV3200 should be avaialble for about 100 euro second hand (a bit more including TMC unit) . Not sure if they are offered in the UK. If you cannot find them in UK I may be able to help

#7 ·
Yes , I can confirm this; if the latest disk the unit has run with has saab part nr 12767415, then it first needs the firmware update,
which is available on the DVD''s with the higher part nr 12771885 and some higher (2007/2008) The 2009 2010 versions do not have that firmware update anymore and they, as well as the latest 2011/2012 version will then not work.
Actually the firmware update makes it possible to us the latest Landrover DVD's as Saab has stopped selling updates as far as I know!!
I have helped many with getting up to date on the older units back to 2005.
If you want support, pls send me a pm or private mail

#9 ·
High Davy, I will respond to you in a PN as I need to first understand what DVD you have purchased and if that is the correct 95 SAT navi . I was also informed by another member that he purchased a DVD recently which did not work, while he already had had his firmware update !

#13 · (Edited)
Hi all,
For all those who require sat nav updates, I needed an update disc, and all the places out there who offer them do not tell you that 2 discs are required if your Saab is older than early 2007 . one of which updates the software!!! I got help from a chap in the Netherlands who joined the forum under the user name dijkvr and you can contact him best through a PM

#14 ·
Hi All,
I've just bought a 2007 9-5 Vector Sport with the Denso unit. I checked this forum before buying a disk from satnavi (saab option 2). My original Saab disc is part no 12771885 Denso 464210-6510 Navteq 2005. I assumed that the disc I ordered would work but when I popped it in the slot it comes up with "Map version is different". I assume that I need to update the firmware but how?
Thanks for reading / responding.
Cheers,
Pete

#17 ·
Hi dijkvr, I have seen on saabscene.com that you can help with updating my denso saab touchscreen satnav system in my 2006 model year saab 9-5. I am looking for an up-to-date map disk and the firmware update that is apparently also needed. Where can I get these and how much do they cost, and also how do you actually do the firmware update?
Many thanks,
Sing

#21 ·
[h=2]Hi Do you still have the up date available? I have a 55 reg 9-5 touchscreen sat-nav that needs an update[/h]
Yes, the latest Landrover (RR) DVD works fine, or a good quality copy !
The Saab 95 denso navi system needs a firmware update if the latest DVD the unit has operated with has a part nr equal to or lower than saab part nr. 12767415 (2005/2006 DVD)
All units from 2005/2006 first need that update otherwise the latest DVD does not work.
I have tested this many times and have helped Saab owners from 2005/ 2006 map data to 2011 maps including the firmware update !
The 2011/2012 maps also work on the kenwood dv3200 unit of the 2004/2005 Saabs , without any need for firmware update.
Let me know if there are 95-ers who want to get up to date.​

#23 ·
I too have the Denso nav in my '07 Aero estate. It appears 'locked up' at the moment and is very slow. I tried an update DVD from here:http://www.satnav-updates.com/2012-saab-9-5-western-europe-for-touch-screen-system-83-p.asp but unfortunately I receive the message 'Unable to read DVD' when the new disc was introduced into the unit.

I am pretty underwhelmed by the system to be honest. Is there any way to check that the unit itself isn't faulty or whether it needs a simple firmware update? I have the original Saab DVD, dated 2007.

#26 ·
If you have the DVD entry in the front unit, you probably have the DVD in with Saab Part nr 5376314/5 ? or 12767415 ?
In that case you need the 2008 firmware update DVD Saab part 12771885 or 12841605 and then finally the latest Landrover DVD with Denso nr 464210-7550 for western europe 2011/2012.
Some sites offer the latest DVD, but not the Saab firmware DVD and in that case the landrover DVD will not work.
Drop me a PN if you need further help to get up to date. Downloading and burn-it-yourself is the cheapest option

#30 ·
You only need the firmware update if your saab dvd has a part nr equal to or lower than12767415, ie for years up to 2007. The firmware is on the dvd from 2007 and 2008 starting with the nr 12771885. Dvd from 2009 onward do not carry the firmware update, so if you are not updated the later dvd will not work.
When you do not want to trouble looking for or downloading and burning the correct dvd,s , drop me a pn

#32 ·
For all who are struggling with a faulty SatNav in your 9-5 can I suggest you contact member dijkvr (Ruud). He has been a real help and got me sorted rapidly after several frustrating months.

The SatNav in my Saab 9-5 (660) T Linear SE 2008 gradually failed over a few weeks and finally showed only error messages 'Please insert a MAP DVD' and 'MAP DVD Read Error'. The original disc is Saab part number 12779152 and the date given on the DVD is 2007 Denso Corporation. I reckoned the disc was faulty so I bought a replacement disc on line from Navimaps but it also produced the same messages. I contacted them and they replied that I needed a 2008 DVD to update the firmware but these were presently unavailable. Saab replacement discs were £336 and were said not to be available for 6 months. Through the forum I contacted Ruud who explained that I did not need a firmware update as DVD 12779152 already has the firmware on it. He suggested the unit itself may simply need cleaning and he sent me very clear instructions how to remove the unit and clean the lens. I got my Saab service engineer to do it (a first for him) and the system is now back to normal. Ruud also sent me a replacement DVD.

Easy solution to a frustrating problem..
Thanks Ruud.

Andrew

#34 ·
Thank you Ruut for your info about sat-update.
Would appreciate of you could help me with an update on the Firmware for a Denso, SAAB 9-5 2005. My sytem has a firmware # 12779152. Reading your mail dated 09-18-2012 I suppose I do not need any update on the firmware. But if I need an update how do I proceed ?
Regards
Sigurd