Breather pipe problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breather pipe problem

Saab Newbie

Breather pipe problem

After the low oil alert went off on my 9-5 estate year 2000 I found the breather (?) pipe on the rocker box cover had split in two also the fitting for the pipe into the box came away in my hands, looks like it has left bits inside box

Pictures attached

Is the bust pipe responsible for the lost oil? looks to me like the car never had the pcv change?

Any advice welcome, the other end of that pipe looks to be a long way down and very hard to get toIMG00329-20120603-1207.jpgIMG00330-20120603-1209.jpg

Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Breather pipe problem

Wont help the oil level but was it actually low on oil or is it actually low in oil pressure? Now the pipes are becoming brittle its defo time for the PCV kit, 41 gets you the kit but you want the supplementary kit aswell for 56. Goes without saying the bits from the broken pipes will end up in the strainer so if your keeping the car and want to know it will last you need a sump drop and clean.

Saab Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by saablee View Post
    Wont help the oil level but was it actually low on oil or is it actually low in oil pressure? Now the pipes are becoming brittle its defo time for the PCV kit, 41 gets you the kit but you want the supplementary kit aswell for 56. Goes without saying the bits from the broken pipes will end up in the strainer so if your keeping the car and want to know it will last you need a sump drop and clean.
    Thanks

It was very low on oil, nothing on dipstick after being stationary overnight! First time Ive seen that in 14 months of ownership

so 96 for the pcv kit, then theres labour for sump drop and clean and to fit the pcv kit plus the cost of oil and filter, I reckon Im looking at 400 min in total dont you? This may mean the car is not worth keeping and it will be all but unsaleable, no one seems to want these gas guzzlers anymore especially as the parts are so expensive and the mpg so terrible

I think I'm ok for bits falling into the strainer, the pipe split was so clean it was like a razor had done it. I now know the PCV nipple is supposed to look like that and has not broken.

Maybe best for me to fix that breather pipe and change oil and filter myself and carry on. Ok it may shorten the car's life but practically speaking with 145K on the clock its probably only a matter of (short) time before something even more expensive fails on it.

I spent 350 quid on a new clutch for my old Saab 9000 CDT and then just a month later the head gasket blew. At 800 plus estimate for the fix it was all over and the car was sadly scrapped.

Dont want to be pouring money down a hole and another year's use out of the car would do me in relation to the initial investment

n
    Last edited by nickharman; 06-04-2012 at 08:01 AM.

i've heard of fully serviced supremely maintained engines giving up and abused engines running forever! Change the PCV and get some fully synth oil in there and what will be will be

Saab Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by saablee View Post
    i've heard of fully serviced supremely maintained engines giving up and abused engines running forever! Change the PCV and get some fully synth oil in there and what will be will be
    Yes but now I see cream on my dipstick since putting in few litres so I could move it down road. Could be moisture getting in from air or could be headgasket. If its the latter then it will be a bad move to spend money on the pcv

Oh and ive also spotted the check valve has broken, thats another 15! Grrrr

If one pipe has broke up then they will all be due and the PCV upgrade is a must regardless. You cant really diagnose anything till all the pipes are connected and working correctly so would do that first and then see whats going on.

Saab Newbie

I know I know, but it's a lot of money that I could do without spending. Ill see what my usual garage will quote.

Be a bitch to do the pcv and then find the headgasket was gone!

n

Can you tell me what PCV stands for? I'm having a bit of trouble with broken connections on various bits of pipework on my 2.3 HOT Aero so would like more info. Thanks

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread