Hi, new to forum, need help with soft top.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi, new to forum, need help with soft top.

Hi, new to forum, need help with soft top.

Hi guys, 1st post so please be gentle with me.
    I have recently bought a 2001 9-3 hot aero conv and have a problem with my roof.
    When trying to open the soft top it gets as far as the soft top being raised but wont lift the tonneau cover
    what the soft top then drops into, does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Kurt

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Hi, new to forum, need help with soft top.

hi im no expert but ill start with what ive read so far after buying my new 93 soft top, you need to check the 5th bow micro switches, should be easy with the rear of the soft top up, check the fluid level of your pump (its between the rear seats and the boot).

By 5th bow i think they mean the tonneau cover, again not sure, sorry cant be much more help butim new to saabs. please anyone correct me where i am wrong.

If u use the wheel wrench to open the tonnue cover u will be able to see if the shear pins have snapped on the cover. Have u got the original manual. It's in there.

Had a guy come round to have a look today, he checked all the microswitches and the pump but couldn't find the fault. He operated the hood manually so at least that's a good thing, as there was nothing wrong mechanically.
    He seems to think that it is electrical, does anybody know anyone in the manchester area who knows the electrics on these hoods?
    If not then my next plan of attack will be to take it to saabtec in glossop.
    Regards kurt

The only electrics are the micro switches and the power to the pump in forward or reverse.
    Is the pump actually pumping or is the impeller shot. Did the guy open the tap on the pump before manual operation.

The pump is operating and yes he opened the tap when operating manually

Is the pump spinning but not moving the fluid?

Yes the pumps spinning and moving the fluid.

except for the micro switches its all hydraulicly operated. Try looking at the control module and the relays that are behind the rear panels. Also look at the hood lockdown motor on the tonnue cover that's electric. Where abouts are you based. When the guy operated the hood manually do you notice if the fluid had got lower because it should have possibly been sucked into the rams when opened. What you could do is manually open the roof with the lever in the boot and get someone to operate the switch while you gently try to move the hood. It may just need a helping hand and be sticky.

Quick update, sorry for not replying russell.
    The fault has now been traced to the microswitch inside the tonneau cover on the passenger side.
    It was all rusted and not working at all, so now I just have to locate one and fit it myself.
    I disconnected this switch and the roof worked properly all the way, which it wasn't doing before but it wouldn't do the very last bit where you lock it manually.
    Many thanks for the replies guys and if you need any help with your roof give me a shout as I have spent quite a bit of time fault finding.
    Regards Kurt

Hi Kurt,

After some of your soft top expertise.
    I have a similar fault to yours. When the rear windscreen part is raising about 1/4 of the way it stops and then check soft top alarm displays. release the button and press again and it will go up a bit further (it does drop back a bit before going back up) then it will alarm again, repeat and it will go vertical. then it alarms and wont go down or release the tonneau. Oil level is good, checked the 3 micro switches, 2 on passenger side one on drivers side. (uk car) they are working. Is there a sensor to say the roof is vertical? or is it just a timing? could it be a broken propeller on the motor?
    any help is gratefully received.
    Graham

Saab Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by vinders View Post
    Hi Kurt,

After some of your soft top expertise.
    I have a similar fault to yours. When the rear windscreen part is raising about 1/4 of the way it stops and then check soft top alarm displays. release the button and press again and it will go up a bit further (it does drop back a bit before going back up) then it will alarm again, repeat and it will go vertical. then it alarms and wont go down or release the tonneau. Oil level is good, checked the 3 micro switches, 2 on passenger side one on drivers side. (uk car) they are working. Is there a sensor to say the roof is vertical? or is it just a timing? could it be a broken propeller on the motor?
    any help is gratefully received.
    Graham
    hi graham,
    not sure why you have three micro swithes but, how did you test them, its possible they are working but the metal bar part of the swith may not be connecting, try, very gently to bend the bar up very slightly,
    hope it helps

ray

hi ray roof works fine now three things wrong.
    pump plastic had lost metal strip reinforcment, was lying in the bottom of the motor
    low on oil, leak cured
    and a soft top cover motor had stuck solid
    i used electrical cleaner to free it and now perfect
    the two micros on the cover work fine,third one on the roof mechenism also needed a clean
    thank you Ray for your help
    Graham

15. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread