Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Satnav Upgrade - Worth It?

Tags
satnav worth
20K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Alscaff 
#1 ·
A while ago I was gonna fit an aftermarket satnav unit but ended up giving it to a family member and keeping the original.
It works well enough but I was wondering if the updated disc (2008?) made any significant improvements in functionality?
Is it worth the hassle upgrading or am I best just putting up with the outdated maps

#7 ·
I tried to get updated discs for my 2008 (09 model) Cadillac BLS 1.9 TiD which I believe uses the same head unit as the 9-3 (the Cadillac BLS is basically a 9-3 but with a different body and uses GM Cadillac software not Saab so Saab discs won't work in it). Upon enquiry, I was duly informed that the price for the latest UK and Europe discs they had was, wait for it, £600, yes, six hundred quid! I binned the whole idea straight away! The full UK and European discs that came with my Caddy work ok, but as has already been mentioned, like the Saab Nav discs, they don't have the postcode search function. Live traffic info is basic but occasionally useful.

I've actually now bought a tomtom with HD traffic, 170 quid and it does everything I need it to and is far more accurate.

#8 ·
I appreciate the comments Caddyman, I just find it pointless having the satnav headunit and then installing a separate GPS system alongside it. I agree it has it's limitations but I think having an extra screen already (Parrot) is enough clutter to add to my dashboard

#9 ·
Oh I agree, having yet another screen is in essence an addition I too would rather do without. Trouble is for me, the tomtom unit is far more useful than the car supplied sat nav head unit. With the TT unit tucked away in the bottom right of the windscreen, it doesn't look particularly odd or out of place. It is a real shame that the onboard car unit doesn't have anywhere near the same level of functionality as the TT unit with all of its live services.

Trust me, if I could bag a set of GM 2012 Nav discs tomorrow with full postcode functionality at a realistic price, I would and I'd give the TT to the wife. Aint happening for me though. Good luck in your own quest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.