Satnav Upgrade - Worth It?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Satnav Upgrade - Worth It?

Satnav Upgrade - Worth It?

A while ago I was gonna fit an aftermarket satnav unit but ended up giving it to a family member and keeping the original.
    It works well enough but I was wondering if the updated disc (2008?) made any significant improvements in functionality?
    Is it worth the hassle upgrading or am I best just putting up with the outdated maps

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Satnav Upgrade - Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by Alscaff View Post
    A while ago I was gonna fit an aftermarket satnav unit but ended up giving it to a family member and keeping the original.
    It works well enough but I was wondering if the updated disc (2008?) made any significant improvements in functionality?
    Is it worth the hassle upgrading or am I best just putting up with the outdated maps
    I'm using the latest disc that i could find (2009 i think)

Does everything it's supposed to, but still no postcode search - highly annoying when looking for a shop or similar with no street name!

you can't use MY07 sat nav disc in an MY03-06 sat nav system..

So basically the satnav systems fitted in Saabs are at best poor? That's pretty disappointing.
    Aerojon my 93 is the facelift model so I take it that's MY07 I have is that right? If so I just need the updated disc?

as far as i'm aware the 9-3SS MY07+ sat nav unit(double din) stayed the same up to the demise of saab.

so yes the latest disc should work in your system..

Thanks Aerojon, now the question of where to source a copy

Saab Anorak

I tried to get updated discs for my 2008 (09 model) Cadillac BLS 1.9 TiD which I believe uses the same head unit as the 9-3 (the Cadillac BLS is basically a 9-3 but with a different body and uses GM Cadillac software not Saab so Saab discs won't work in it). Upon enquiry, I was duly informed that the price for the latest UK and Europe discs they had was, wait for it, 600, yes, six hundred quid! I binned the whole idea straight away! The full UK and European discs that came with my Caddy work ok, but as has already been mentioned, like the Saab Nav discs, they don't have the postcode search function. Live traffic info is basic but occasionally useful.

I've actually now bought a tomtom with HD traffic, 170 quid and it does everything I need it to and is far more accurate.

I appreciate the comments Caddyman, I just find it pointless having the satnav headunit and then installing a separate GPS system alongside it. I agree it has it's limitations but I think having an extra screen already (Parrot) is enough clutter to add to my dashboard

Saab Anorak

I appreciate the comments Caddyman, I just find it pointless having the satnav headunit and then installing a separate GPS system alongside it. I agree it has it's limitations but I think having an extra screen already (Parrot) is enough clutter to add to my dashboard
    Oh I agree, having yet another screen is in essence an addition I too would rather do without. Trouble is for me, the tomtom unit is far more useful than the car supplied sat nav head unit. With the TT unit tucked away in the bottom right of the windscreen, it doesn't look particularly odd or out of place. It is a real shame that the onboard car unit doesn't have anywhere near the same level of functionality as the TT unit with all of its live services.

Trust me, if I could bag a set of GM 2012 Nav discs tomorrow with full postcode functionality at a realistic price, I would and I'd give the TT to the wife. Aint happening for me though. Good luck in your own quest.

Thanks Aerojon, now the question of where to source a copy
    I downloaded it from here http://gpsunderground.com/forum/saab...rn-europe.html

Put it onto a DVD9 and it works fine

Quote Originally Posted by littlebasher View Post
    I downloaded it from here http://gpsunderground.com/forum/saab...rn-europe.html

Put it onto a DVD9 and it works fine
    Is that not the earlier discs Littlebasher? It says 2005-2008 which I think is the one I have. The new one came out after that

Is that not the earlier discs Littlebasher? It says 2005-2008 which I think is the one I have. The new one came out after that
    The 2005-2008 bit is misleading (Don't know why they put that in the title, the disc only works in cars from 2007 onwards).

Definitely a 2009 disc, it contains local roads on it that were only made in the last few years - roads that were not included on the 2006 disc that came with the car.

The 2005-2008 bit is misleading (Don't know why they put that in the title, the disc only works in cars from 2007 onwards).

Definitely a 2009 disc, it contains local roads on it that were only made in the last few years - roads that were not included on the 2006 disc that came with the car.
    Cheers, how long did it take you to download? Is it worth getting a Rapidshare account? I've read they are pretty unreliable. There's also a download hosted by Filepost, is that the one you used?
    Last edited by Alscaff; 04-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Cheers, how long did it take you to download? Is it worth getting a Rapidshare account? I've read they are pretty unreliable. There's also a download hosted by Filepost, is that the one you used?
    I can't remember which method of download i used ( i think i found some other links buried in all the posts somewhere), but i do remember it took ages as i had to download each part individually!

Worth it in the end though!

I can't remember which method of download i used ( i think i found some other links buried in all the posts somewhere), but i do remember it took ages as i had to download each part individually!

Worth it in the end though!
    Cheers mate, appreciate it. Just going the long road, on part 3 of 21 now

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast