Saab 9 3 Convertible Roof not working
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saab 9 3 Convertible Roof not working

Saab 9 3 Convertible Roof not working

Hi
    I've got a two and a half year old Saab 9 3 Convertible, there's no warranty available anymore since SAAB UK went into administration and it's not working. The SID display says that only manual operation is available. The rear heated windscreen button lights up for a minute if that when I turn it on then goes off. Has anyone had a similar problem or got any ideas? The local dealer want 120 to hook it up to the machine to tell me what's wrong and a local independant will be 90ish but aren't sure if they've got the right software for my car.
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Re: Saab 9 3 Convertible Roof not working

My 10 plate stopped mid cycle once and blew a fuse, leaving roof half open. Replaced fuse and no probs since, so suggest check fuses under bonnet.

Hi there,

firstly, dig out the owners handbook and find the section on fuses/fusebox and check the fuse for the roof is OK. also check if the relay is clicking. May be the relay and or fuse has burnt out. This sometimes happens when you do not use the roof for a period of time (say over a cold winter), the seals/rubbers stick together and puts a strain on the motor - taking out the fuse and sometimes the relay. If this is the problem then treat the seals to some sillicone lube spray to keep them supple and lubricated and this should help prevent the problem reoccurring. It could be one of many things, micro-switches, wiring, switch, motor, etc but best to start with the obvious suspects..

If this is not the problem then try a local auto electrician, their labour rates are usually around 50.00-60.00 per hour. Ask if they have techII diagnostics. they may even be mobile and come to you.

FYI we also run a MR2 convertible and the differences in price between a stealership and good independent can be vast. had a 02 sensor fail, the stealership wanted 53.00 just to diagnose this, with the 02 sensor and resetting the fault codes it would have cost 330.00. Independent diagnosed the fault then supplied and fitted the sensor and rest the light all for 120.00
    Last edited by the zohan; 02-28-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Hi Scunny1, Thanks for the reply, I've tried checking the fuse, but in the manual the fuse for the roof is number 18 in the boot, not under the bonnet, which fuse blew under the bonnet?

Hi the zohan,
    I've checked the roof fuse, it's fine, but what's the relay and how do you check it? Is it the maxi fuse? I've usde the roof right through the winter whenever the weather was good enough to put it down, it did stop working after I'd put some large items in the boot though, could I have knocked something? Where are the micro switches? Is the best idea to strip all the housing out of the boot and disconnect then reconnect anything easy to do so with?
    Would it help if I did this then posted the photos? Thanks for the help so far

Can't remember which one under the bonnet but it was a yellow fuse cos its still in my glove box.Posted on here when it blew so might be able to find on search box above.

Just found it on search system under Transporter fuse if that helps.
    Last edited by scunny1; 02-29-2012 at 02:38 PM.

I've taken some photos of the boot and everything I can see that is looks part of the mechanism for the roof. Anyone gots any suggestions?
    Cheers

I wonder if it's worth checking there's fluid in the hydraulic reservior for the roof motor?

How do I do that, wouldn't I have seen fluid if it'd leaked though?

Just thought I'd update everyone. I've had the roof fixed, got it done at a local independant. But the best thing was my finance company paid for it. Because there was no warranty but I had one when I bought it but because SAAB went bang and it was still in the warranty period they covered the bill. It was a bent arm on the mechanism

Good result

15. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread