Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

2004 Saab 93 Aero - ALARM issues are driving me CRAZZZYYYYY! Please Help?

21K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Daveyboi87 
#1 ·
Hi Saab Experts ---

I am a new owner of a Saab 93 Aero. I bought it thinking the issues were minor and thought I could fix them fairly easily..Boy was I wrong! I can't get the alarm to stop going off on it's own...it's like a ghost is controlling it....very strange.

Issues:
- After I shut the car off and remove the key. After a range of time from 1 min to 4-5 hours the alarm will go off, which includes the horn, lights blinking. This will happen regardless of whether I remote lock it or if I leave it unlocked or unalarmed.

Attempted Temporary Fixes:
1)I have tried numerous combinations to try and disable the alarm so that I don't have to unhook the battery everytime I shut it off, including leaving the key fob inside the ignition and removing the transport fuse #37.

2) Replaced key battery - Still have the issues

3) Unhooked Alarm sensors - Still have the issues

Known items that the previous car owner did to the car:
- Replaced the CIM and Driver Airbag.
- The EHU went bad and is now being worked on by Wasyl at Saabradio.com. (Could the alarm issues continue until I fix all the radio problems and reinstall the units??)
- Replaced Battery with a new one from the dealer...It is a saab battery.

Also note: The driver's side lock button doesn't work when I press it. In addition the window controls on the drivers side sometimes work and sometimes they don't...

I would really appreciate hearing from somone that knows exactly where I should troubleshoot/replace first or a series of steps to get me to the fix???

Also..I have a copy of the Workshop Information system on my computer...It basically tells you how to take apart and replace anything but it doesn't help a whole bunch on diagnostics...I realize I will eventually need to plug it into a TECH 2, but I am trying to avoid a very costly back and forth service at the mechanic...Would like to go ahead and replace the necessary parts if need be and then take it to the dealer to program/marrry to the vehicle...

Thank-you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Same think happended here a few years back to my 04 9-3. I turned out to be the window jam. It was triggering the alarm when it was cold out it would expand. Took the dealership forever to pick up on it. It was a nightmare.

Alarm

I would start by trying to fix door lock as it may be trigering alarm?.

Check door electric socket, clean contacts, check for damaged wires etc
Alarm is in boot area, you can disconnect it but i dont know if it will stop the alarm or just the tweet (2007)
You have to Tech2 it to turn it off totaly

see link door lock prob
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224165

link alarm location pic's
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=626

#3 ·
Thank-you for your help. I actually disconnected the window/lock controls on the driver's side and I haven't had the alarm trigger since. I am now in process of searching for a new window/lock button components since I am assuming the issues have to do with one or both of those components.

#5 ·
Alarm repair

Hi I have had this issue with my alarm in my Saab 95 estate 1999 .FIrst locate were your alarm module is if it is like mine it is located inside. the front wheel arch on the passenger side of the car. What you have to do is open the module check the voltage of the rechargeable batteries they should read 3 volts if they do batteries are ok no need to change batteries . So what you have to do is change the 3 capacitors on the circuit board they are marked C1'C2"C4 these can be purchased from any electronics /radio store for very little money . Once you change these 3 capacitors your. Problem is fixed go to my link below everything is explained there with other links follow all steps and you should have no more problems
:rolleyes::crazy:

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/entries/43-Alarm-module-repair

#7 · (Edited)
Apologies to resurrect this fairly old thread, but it seemed pointless to start a new one, when my problem seems to be pretty similar to this one!

I have a 2005, 9-3 Vector Sport. During the last 12 months or so, I've had an intermittent alarm problem that appears to occur at random. My alarm goes off reasonably regularly, around 2-3 times a week for no apparent reason. When it goes off, it goes off most often within 10 minutes of the car having been turned off and locked. More often than not, it goes off within 20-40 seconds of the car having been locked so that you are most often still near enough to the car to hear it and be forced to walk back to it and open/lock the doors to reset it. It's a reasonably regular occurrence that it will go off after you've gone far enough away from it (once a fortnight on average), that you don't know that the alarm has been triggered until you get back to the car and see the warning on the SID.

8 times out 10, this unlock/lock cycle is enough to cure the problem and it mostly won't happen again that day. Sometimes, however, like right now, this isn't working. My car is on the driveway, and it's gone off 7 times in the last 45 minutes or so and hence I've been pushed enough to try and work out the cause/cure:

* When the alarm goes off, it goes off "full" - with siren and indicators flashing. A full alarm alert
* When the alarm goes off, unlocking the car ALWAYS stops it immediately
* There are no known historic problems with the car.
* None of the electrics have ever been worked on.
* The ehu (whatever that is) has never been removed/repaired.
* The alarm has been turned off via the alarm menu within SID, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.
* All of the window and lock controls work as they should.
* The door cards have never been removed or worked on internally

Is it as simple / likely that the alarm module has rechargeable batteries as per the suggestion in Post #5, and these simply require replacement now?

Would very much appreciate any other pointers of likely suspects so that I can cure this irritating glitch once and for all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.