Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

New 9-5 Niggles

Tags
niggles
8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  samuel13 
#1 ·
After happily driving my 9-3 ttid for 3 years, i was very excited to pick up my new 9-5 on Saturday. after driving it for the last 3 days i have found that there are a few stupid niggles that have spolit the car for me.

On the whole the car is excellent and although it is a big car it does not feel bog to drive, its very responsive, very agile and very quiet. I love the keyless entry and keyless locking, the full sunroof, heads up display and loads of other things.

Now hear comes the complaints:

1, for a TTid the fuel consumption is terrible, on a 140 mile round trip on a mototway, averaging between 50-70 mph on cruise control i only got 36mpg.

2, The car is designed around you being able to park the car easily, by giving you lots of visual aids, like turning the mirrors down while reversing etc... what is stupid is the fact that when you drive forward you get 3 aids to make sure you dont hit the object in front of you, an audible tone, a visual aid on the HUD, and an aid on my instriment panel. however when you reverse you only get the audible warning and no visual aid WHY ?

3, Automatic lights, accoring to the SAAB manual the automatic lights will turn your lights on and off depending on the exterior level of lighting, no matter how bright or dark it is the lights are always on, and you cant even select side lights as an option WHY ?

I can live with the lights and even the parking sensors but the MPG is my biggest gripe, i am waiting for SAAB to call me back and get it booked in, i will let you know how i get on, if there is anybody else with a TTid manual i would love to hear what your fuel economy is like

Thanks Steve

See less See more
#4 ·
Tyre pressures can make a big difference to fuel consumption - have you checked them?

Is your mpg from the in car computer or calculated from fuel used when you fill up? The on board display may be inaccurate.

As you can see from my post in the mpg thread, my automatic manages more than that, which just can't be right.

I think the lights are 'driving lights', on to comply with forthcoming EU legislation, but you can turn them off, but will then have to turn them on manually, I think.

Parking - you will be cross if you hit anything with the front end! I think it is called overkill.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply, on a full tank i did just short of 500 miles which calculates to about 36.1 MPG, the fuel computer read 35.6 MPG so its quite accurate. I took the car back to SAAB city and was told by the receptionist that my fuel consumption was correct and i shouldnt moan. Well i di moan and to prove there point they have loaned me a TTid Aero XWD. alraedy i am upto 37MPG which is higher than i ever got out of my car and the XWD should do about 6 MPG less than a TTid model. I will update you all tomorrow as id am driving about 250 miles on mostly motorways so i will see what she will avergare at if i stick to 70.

Regards

#6 ·
Long time reader, first time poster...
I have had my 9-5 2.0tid since June. I'm overall happy (moved from a 2.0t petrol MY03 93) but also have found a few niggles:
- I apparently have the "sight and light" and comfort packs, but my mirrors don't move down when reversing - that would have been nice. They don't fold in automatically either (even when using "comfort closing" although the windows do go up)
- "Automatic" headlights as above aren't automatic, they're just on
- Heated rear screen doesn't turn off automatically - I think this may be a fault so may need to take it in, but after a 1 hour trip it was still on
- Radio seems to randomly select an input when I start the car. e.g. If I was listening to DAB when I last used the car, the next time it could be on FM, Ipod or CD - there doesn't seem to be any logic to this
- Cruise control struggles to hold speed (I saw this on another post too)
- HUD speed and cruise control speed are almost always 1 MPH different. Not really a big issue, but a bit annoying (e.g. if I set cruise to 70MPH, HUD shows 71 constantly)

I'm also not convinced my climate control is right.. I have to have it set to 22C at the moment, and the other night it WAS 10c outside and still blowing cold.

MPG wise I suppose it's not too bad. I drive almost exclusively on the motorway on cruise control, and get 48MPG according to the computer, so around 700 miles to a tank.

Any thoughts on any of the above appreciated - I'm not really sure whether it's worth taking it in for these things to be looked at, and am also not sure what the situation is re: parts if anything does need replacing. Has anyone got experience of this?

Thanks all in advance,
FF

#9 ·
- "Automatic" headlights as above aren't automatic, they're just on
- Heated rear screen doesn't turn off automatically - I think this may be a fault so may need to take it in, but after a 1 hour trip it was still on
- Cruise control struggles to hold speed (I saw this on another post too)
- HUD speed and cruise control speed are almost always 1 MPH different. Not really a big issue, but a bit annoying (e.g. if I set cruise to 70MPH, HUD shows 71 constantly)
MPG wise I suppose it's not too bad. I drive almost exclusively on the motorway on cruise control, and get 48MPG according to the computer, so around 700 miles to a tank.
Any thoughts on any of the above appreciated - I'm not really sure whether it's worth taking it in for these things to be looked at, and am also not sure what the situation is re: parts if anything does need replacing. Has anyone got experience of this?
Thanks all in advance,
FF
Glad someone else is experiencing the same problems with the cruise control - don't expect a fix anytime soon, if ever (this is a big fault as far as I'm concerned) as it's all integrated in the engine map.
MPG on my 9-5 TiD4, after just over 10k miles, on a run is about 41mpg
I seem to remember the heated screen does turn off eventually.

It was back to the dealers two weeks ago for some warranty work, the parts took two weeks to arrive. There was also a software update done to fix problems with the 'Start/Stop' system.

Anyone have the vastly out of date SatNav?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.