Steering lock malfunction
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering lock malfunction

Not had my 9-3 Vector (55 Plate) long and since buying it has come up randomly with :

Steering lock malfunction

Up too now it has always started on the second attempt so not a major problem yet.
    What are likely repair costs and is it a key problem or car problem ?
    There was no recall for my model according to Saab UK.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like the ignition switch module has failed (the Saab dealer will know exactly what this is and the associated error on your dash). This is the gubbin that you plug your key into when you start the car. It has a circuitboard/module underneath that for some very odd reason seems the break after a few years. Happened to mine with the same message. 9 times out of 10 it is this part at fault. Cost me 60 from main dealer and another 40 to fit it. Apparently its an easy job to fit but I couldn't be bothered!

The worst case scenario is the actual ignition lock on the steering wheel column can fail and can cost hundreds to fix but this is rare. Go with cheaper option above first! Main steeler might try to have your life and insist on a fault code read but this will cost you another 60. By all means go ahead but I was fairly sure it was the ISM so just asked them to replace it with no fault code read and all was well after that.

Exclamation

Try this link

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?s...;#entry31775968

My fault still has not come back thank god

Re: Steering lock malfunction

I have this error now although it starts and Drives fine. Occasionally while the engine is running it will say 'checking' and then revert back to the steering lock malfunction. Also to begin with you could hear the lock engage and disengage with the key being put in but that has stopped now too. No other errors. Would this too be indicative or a module failure an doesnanyone have one for sale?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by badger666 View Post
    I have this error now although it starts and Drives fine. Occasionally while the engine is running it will say 'checking' and then revert back to the steering lock malfunction. Also to begin with you could hear the lock engage and disengage with the key being put in but that has stopped now too. No other errors. Would this too be indicative or a module failure an doesnanyone have one for sale?

Cheers
    I am having the same issue. What did you do to resolve this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I had to source and change the ignition switch. I found one at a breakers for 35 and changed it by carefully removing the centre console. It didn't like my key to begin with but after unplugging the module and replugging at worked great.
    You need one where the original key is not stuck in it.

What do you mean when you said you need one where the original key is not stuck in it? I just got the ISM that came with a key in it from recycle car place.

Couple of weeks ago i had an issue with the steering wheel malfunction errxdd the car wouldn't start. The key wont turn at all. I did some reading and decided to change the ISM (ignition switch module). The ignition switch i purchased came with 1 key. After installing the switch the car started fine with no problems. After couple of hours it started giving me the same problem again "Steering wheel malfunction" on the Display. I got my battery tested by a professional mechanic and the voltage was good.

At this point the only way for me to start the car is to disconnect the battery for couple of minutes and connect it back and the car starts. After driving the car for a bit when i turn the car off and take the key out i hear a clicking sound near the steering wheel. And when i insert the key again the same error "steering wheel malfuntion" appears on the display and there is no clicking sound.

I have to repeat the entire process again in order for the car to start by disconnecting and connecting the battery. What could be causing this even after changing the ISM module and the battery is in excellent condition?

What do you mean when you said you need one where the original key is not stuck in it? I got the ISM that came with a key in it from recycle car place.
    Last edited by samaark; 07-10-2013 at 03:04 AM.

I was told that if the original key to the module is in it when it's removed from the donor car, it would not be removable when installed in another. it should work fine with your key.

I've had this problem all over the winter, but now it's just cleared itself without me doing anything. Weird!

You could try a new ISM, but last time I enquired they were on back order!

The following may sound like bollocks, but it's based on months of having to live with this annoying and intermittent problem...

In my experience, if you take the key out you should hear a clicking noise from the steering column. If you hear it, then you can leave the car and lock up with the remote, confident that it's going to work when you put the key back in. You should hear a corresponding click when you put the key back in.

If you don't hear the clicking when you take the key out, then it's not going to work when you come back. You should then go round to the passenger side door and lock the other three doors by pushing the inside buttons down, and then lock the passenger door with the actual key (the old-style metal thing that slides out of the remote). There's a good chance that when you come back and use the electronic remote unlock, it will reset itself. If it doesn't, you can try the battery disconnect method to reset it. If that doesn't work, go for a walk for an hour and it may have cured itself. If that doesn't work, start cursing and call your Relay service!

I used to find that when it failed, it was usually when I'd locked the car and come back after a short time. So I used to leave the key in, but slide the metal key out and lock the car with that, if I knew I was going to be away for a short time. Not good for security I know, but it worked.

I wish there was a bit more logic to this problem, but I haven'y found any.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    I've had this problem all over the winter, but now it's just cleared itself without me doing anything. Weird!

You could try a new ISM, but last time I enquired they were on back order!

The following may sound like bollocks, but it's based on months of having to live with this annoying and intermittent problem...

In my experience, if you take the key out you should hear a clicking noise from the steering column. If you hear it, then you can leave the car and lock up with the remote, confident that it's going to work when you put the key back in. You should hear a corresponding click when you put the key back in.

If you don't hear the clicking when you take the key out, then it's not going to work when you come back. You should then go round to the passenger side door and lock the other three doors by pushing the inside buttons down, and then lock the passenger door with the actual key (the old-style metal thing that slides out of the remote). There's a good chance that when you come back and use the electronic remote unlock, it will reset itself. If it doesn't, you can try the battery disconnect method to reset it. If that doesn't work, go for a walk for an hour and it may have cured itself. If that doesn't work, start cursing and call your Relay service!

I used to find that when it failed, it was usually when I'd locked the car and come back after a short time. So I used to leave the key in, but slide the metal key out and lock the car with that, if I knew I was going to be away for a short time. Not good for security I know, but it worked.

I wish there was a bit more logic to this problem, but I haven'y found any.

When i turn my car off and take the key out i hear a clicking sound but when i try to start the car again it gives me the steering wheel malfunction error. Seems like it does not disengage the steering lock byitself when i put the key back in in. Everytime i have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it in order for it to work. sometimes if i am leaving my car for a short time i leave the key in the off position so i dont have to go through the entire process of connecting and disconnecting the battery. Really annoying

13. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread