Hi. My 9-5 Aero (07) is developing a few problems under the bonnet which I am a bit disappointed about given that it only has 50k on the clock. I bought the car from a car supermarket last October and was offered the option of an extended warranty for about £250 for a year. I thought that as there are a lot of expensive parts to go wrong I would take a punt.
Recently the car has been misbehaving and it's now getting worse so time for it to be looked at. The issues are:
- About 3 months ago the CEL came on after changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. Major loss of power and a misfire but light went out after stopping at next set of traffic lights and no misfire. There should be a fault code logged.
- Turbo very noisy under load.
- Oil leak that covers part of the engine and gearbox. Appears to be coming from the head gasket but could be coming from the turbo area and being fired at the engine block. Very difficult to tell as it's so congested with pipes around there!
- Coolant low warning on dashboard for 2nd time in 6 months.
- Engine coughs under load either when overtaking or climbing hills. Overtaking becoming very dicey now as I've no idea how much power will be there!
- Sometimes the turbo boost gauge registers healthy boost but it doesn't always translate into acceleration.
Since I have paid for the warranty I may as well take it to a garage. The rules of the warranty are that the car needs to be taken to a VAT registered garage. So my question is do I take it to a dealer or a VAT registered independent? I would like to take it to whoever is most likely to diagnose and fix the problems correctly and sometimes the indies seem to have far more knowledge than the main dealers! I live near Leicester and this is the only Saab I've had so I've got no experience of either dealer or indy in this area.
Any help much appreciated.