What does "HOT" mean?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does "HOT" mean?

Saab Anorak
    Hi

Thinking of replacing our old 9000 aero with a more recent model some time this year. So I've popped over from the 9000 forum to check it out.

Don't know anything about the 9-5 yet. Seen a few posts relating to oil sump sludge - would this be a problem, or anything else I should be aware of?

Also checking out the for sale section... what does the "HOT" aero refer to?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado
    High Output Turbo.

Saab Anorak
    High Output Turbo.[/b]
    Ah... like the lpt / hpt on the 9000 - thanks

Saab Anorak
    Are all 9-5 Aeros "HOT" 250 BHP?

It seems 2002 was a significant year regarding model changes & spec??

Cheers

Are all 9-5 Aeros "HOT" 250 BHP?

It seems 2002 was a significant year regarding model changes & spec??

Cheers[/b]
    From what I found out when I was looking into buying mine - the 'facelift' models (from 2002 on) received a fairly large number of improvements. Brakes, suspension, seats, interior detail, equipment level, 5-speed auto (instead of 4-speed), 250bhp (230bhp for the pre 2002). I was advised to go for a facelift, which I did.

The later ones again, (2005 on I think) were 260bhp. They have even further improvements/upgrades.

Another thing to look for as well as sump drop is the PCV upgrade, which relates to the sump drop.

Full throttle
    All Aeros are HOT.

!997 - end of production: 2.0t was 150 hp

1997 - 2000: 2.3t was 170 hp

2001-end of production: 2.3t was 185 hp.

1999 - 2001: Aero was 350nm torque and 230hp (possibly more, but not specified) Auto was 4 speed 300Nm and around 200hp, but this is a bit woolly as torque was limited in lower gears to prevent damage to the gearbox.

2002 - 2004: Aero was 350Nm torque and 250 hp and the 5 speed auto was the same with lock-up in 4th & 5th.

2005 - end of production: Aero was 350Nm torque and 260hp. this is the "Dame Edna" with the chrome headlight surrounds.

The different hp for the same torque was done by extending the torque curve "plateau" to higher revs. So at normal speeds All Aeros will perform more or less the same.

Autumn 1997 saw the introduction for the 1998 model year. All cars had the chrome grille.

2002 saw the facelift. Chrome grille disappeared.

2003 saw the arrival of auto dim door mirrors and flappy paddles on the auto.

2004 saw the Aero get a new front bumper.

2006 saw the arrival of the "final version" the Dame Edna.

Saab Anorak
    Thanks guys - brilliant info.

And reassuring to see such support from the forum which I will undoubtedly need when I find the right one.

Thanks again

Full throttle
    Two more bits:

The Aero from mid-2002 to the end of 2003 production got upgrades to help sales. Memory driver's seat, rain sensing wipers, heated rear seat etc. etc. They became options again from 2004 and the "Aero Luxury Pack - including the Harmon Kardon audio" was available at a cost to put the extras back in.

And... get the auto!! It's smooth and much better than the manual. Only drawback is higher fuel consumption in town, but on a run with the gearbox lock-up there's no difference. The published acceleration figures don't seem to show up in practice. Maybe the auto was not measured with the "Sport" button pressed!! MAke sure you press it when you test drive. It's on top of the selector.

Saab Anorak
    Excellent info - I'll make sure I try out the auto

Maybe the auto was not measured with the "Sport" button pressed!! MAke sure you press it when you test drive. It's on top of the selector. [/b]
    With "sport" and a BSR upgrade you will need new tyres about once a month - far too much fun!

HOT=HOrrendous Torque ;-)

sqould - are you sure about the figures for 2001 Auto Aero? In my handbook and brochure it states 330 Nm (258lb/ft) and 230 hp... It's the one I drive....

... and of course, if you avail yourself of all that torque and horses, they can be somewhat Hard On Tyres ....

....reassuring to see such support from the forum which I will undoubtedly need when I find the right one.[/b]
    Pessimist!

(Unless you mean you'll be after tuning info, of course! ;-)

sqould - are you sure about the figures for 2001 Auto Aero? In my handbook and brochure it states 330 Nm (258lb/ft) and 230 hp... It's the one I drive....[/b]
    Yes the early Aero is 330Nm (according to wis anyway). There was also a 2.3T (B235L) which was sold from 2004 onwards (iirc) which was 220hp and 310Nm.

Get an Aero from 2002 onwards. You will just LOVE it for so many reasons. Auto and Turbo are a great combination and you get stacks of kit. Stability Control, Traction, Smart airbags, 8 speaker stereo with subwoofer, 6 stacker CD in the boot, no body roll, NO Torque steer, 1235(yes) upgrades on the Series 1 cars and they just GO HARD. The 5 speed auto box has 'learning' modes and adapts to you.
    With decent wheel alignment they are actually quite kind to their tyres. The seats are to die for and have memory that is linked to the mirrors etc etc etc. Rain sensing wipers, Xenon headlamps and auto dimming mirror.
    Oh, and it still looks great 9 years later, something a BM or Merc of the same year certainly does not.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast