Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Engine Malfunction light

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  saab chick 
#1 ·
Hi i ran out of diesel and walked to the garage to fill up a can i then put it into the car and it wouldnt start so i pumped the accelerator as i turned the engine over to put it through it then started,
then the engine light came on and my car wouldnt go over 10mph as it was in limp home mode could any1 please advise on what could be wrong

#3 ·
As the 1.9 diesels have a priming pump in the tank it doesn't take much to get them started again if you run out.
The engine light has come on because it's detected low fuel pressure when you've been cranking it over. All you need to do is have the fault cleared with a code reader and you should be back in business. A garage should have one to clear it or you can pick them up for under £30 off eBay.

A tip if you run out of fuel again is to turn the ignition on for about 5 seconds then switch off (don't try to crank it, just ignition on) repeat this 4 or 5 times and the fuel will have been primed up enough and the car will start straight away and you won't get the engine light come on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.