Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Where is the Lamp Control Relay located in the 2003 95 Linear wagon

15K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  quinophex 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum It appears I have a faulty Lamp Control Relay unit on my 2003 95 Linear wagon. The left headlight drops in and out of service often, and sometimes is followed by a check headlight dash indicator. Other times no issue at all. Is intermittent and been present for many weeks.

I have tried searching for the ORANGE relay box in the engine compartment on the drivers side and not yet found it.

Can some one help me locate it.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Welcome! :)

The orange "relay" is in the big black fuse box next to the battery.

You should also be aware that the 2003 model (and only 2003) 9-5 had a batch of cars with a faulty connector at the LH headlamp. One of the pins could come loose and slip back into the plastic block, thus breaking the contact.

But the orange thing is much more likely if the fault has just started.

#4 ·
If it is the orange relay (rather than the faulty connector sgould is talking about) then they are quite easy to fix. It does suffer from cracked solder joints and all you need to do is open it up and re-solder some joints. See here for some pictures I took.[/b]
I used your guide to fix the very same problem with my orange relay over the weekend - so I am very grateful, especially as new replacements are so expensive. I started to get random bulb failure messages when using full beam and re-soldering the pin on the right solved the issue and saved me some money.

Many thanks!

#6 ·
I appreciate all of the help and suggestions but have checked the fuse box - just behind the battery - and find nothing like an orange box or any box labeled LAMP CONTROL. Am posting a picture of the box in case this helps.

Does it make a difference that the car came with the Xenon headlamps option?

Again, thank you all for your help.

#7 ·
Hmmm!

My 2002 9-5 Aero had Xenons and an orange box.

My 2007 9-5 Aero does not have an orange box.

I wonder when it changed? Is your car a late 2003 car that is actually a 2004 model? Check the 10th digit of the VIN number at the bottom of the windscreen. 3=2003, 4=2004. There were a lot of changes for 2004, including a redesigned engine.

#10 ·
I'm fairly sure they changed it for cars *with* Xenon lamps around 04/05 and replaced it with some kind of grey relay and changed the functionality somehow. I recall having a customer arrive one day with headlamp problems and said something along the lines of "I'm 99% sure I know what it is!" took out an orange relay and looked a right numpty. :D

As far as I've seen they kept it for all cars *without* Xenon lamps, but at the time I left we'd only seen a couple of Dame Edna's as they are rare and most were still under SAAB warranty and so going to the main dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.