Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Steering lock malfunction make a safe stop

62K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  oldbonesmcgee 
#1 ·
Saab 93 tid 120, 2007 model. Whilst driving today my sid displayed the warning " Steering lock malfunction make a safe stop". So after the initial shock and near heart failure thinking of the consecquences I did make a safe stop only to find I had no malfunction. I cleared the message and continued my drive. This occured two more times and both times I cleared the error message and continued on with no problem.
I have just done a search on here and found nothing really conclusive other than low battery or disconnect battery for ten minutes. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix the problem, or will disconnecting the battery for ten mins resolve this issue.
Thanks

#2 ·
Similar thing happened my partner last year on my 2005 linear 93. It was the alternator that needed replacing as it wsan't charging the battery which led to lots of heart stopping electrical messages, and steering lock problems. £160 for a reconditioned one. Once the new alternator was fitted everything was fine again.

Hope this helps

#3 ·
Took your advice about the alternator so I had it checked out. The alternator was working fine and the battery was ok. I couldnt find anything conclusive on the forum so I booked a diagnostic check at West Midland Saab Specalist in Birmingham who found the problem straight away. A dodgy Ignition switch. Job done, thankyou WMSS.

#11 ·
Ooops that sounds like you have had too many dings from your car. Did you buy a bad un[/b]
Actually....and I'm typing this with one hand and gripping our nice wooden dining table with the other....I've never had this fault...Oh no that's it...kiss of death ! Kidding....mines definately not a bad un.....it's brilliant ! :fawlty: :fawlty:

#12 ·
Actually....and I'm typing this with one hand and gripping our nice wooden dining table with the other....I've never had this fault...Oh no that's it...kiss of death ! Kidding....mines definately not a bad un.....it's brilliant ! :fawlty: :fawlty:[/b]
Thats good to hear, as brilliant as mine I hope. The ignition switch fault has been the only problem I have had. There seem to be far too many people on these forums all to eager to list the problems of these good cars you never really get to hear of all the cars that dont go wrong and give the owners years of trouble free motoring. I hope you continue to enjoy you car as much as I enjoy mine.
Happy Motoring.

#13 ·
Pleased to say we have had many years of trouble free Saab motoring but have now had this ignition lock thing twice this year. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes does seem to cure it but I guess a new ignition switch is on the cards going by the previous messages. Thanks for posting your experiences and helping me with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.