Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Air Conditioning - damage to condenser

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  arthurmo 
#1 ·
Just bought an 06 plate 93 vector sport and was very very pleased with it. This warm weather over last couple of weeks highlighted that the AC wasn't up to snuff though. Couldn't really blame the dealer I thought - I'll take it in and get a regas. Saab dealer informed me that the condenser was damaged (stones?) and it wouldn't hold the gas. Also thought it might have taken a knock from underneath as it looked to be out of position a bit. My question is whether this is a common occurrence - is the condenser that vulnerable? I am hoping the dealer will replace the condenser (had it two months) without complaint as saab quote £700 for the job... Any comments please.
JR

#2 ·
The same thing happened to me - stone(s) through the condenser. It is in a very vulnerable position. As the car was in for some other warranty work I let the main dealer fix it for £500 ish (sorry sir we can't cover this under warranty!!!!). I suppose I could have waited and gone to an indy but they had one in stock. I have now placed some black plastic mesh (sort of stuff you use to stop leaves getting into gutters) behing the lower grill. I'd negotiate the price or maybe fing an independent garage to quote.
Good luck

#4 ·
Thanks Rick,

I was very pleased that the seller (Binks of Beccles) replaced the condenser and only charged me for the regas. I am sure a more unscrupulous dealer would have held out so I give Binks full marks for integrity and will recommend them where I can.
Very interested in your black mesh solution and now, paying more attention, can see just how vulnerable the condenser is!
With air con now working this is a very nice car indeed (until the next snag of course!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.