Serious CLUNK and jerk going into Drive (Automatic Aero)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serious CLUNK and jerk going into Drive (Automatic Aero)

Hi,

I have just done an automatic oil change. It didn't seem that bad...black, but still fluid...

Having said that, I am still getting an almighty CLUNK and jerk from the car moving into Drive.

For example, If I move from P to N to R, no problems, smooth as a whistle.
    If I move from Drive to Revere or Neutral, smooth as a whistle.

If I move from anything into Drive, there is a distinctive pause of about 1/2 a second to a second and then an almighty CLUNK and the whole car JERKS (foot on break, so doesn't go anywhere)...I mean, really jerks.

It's almost like the car wants to GO and jerks forward.
    Changing gears while driving are smooth enough but can occasionally be slightly jerking moving down through gears when driving slow.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Was it doing this before the oil change?

Full throttle
    This sounds like my old Aero - 2002. I sold it on and the current owner has, I understand, done a full flush of the fluid and cured the problem.

I was told that there is a weakness with some springs in the valve block. If this is so, then a full fluid flush has masked the problem for now.

You can only drain about 40% of the fluid through the drain plug, so you need to do 3 or 4 changes with a drive in between to actually change about 80%.

I think there's a more complex way of draining it all, but I'm not sure how this is done.

This sounds like my old Aero - 2002. I sold it on and the current owner has, I understand, done a full flush of the fluid and cured the problem.

I was told that there is a weakness with some springs in the valve block. If this is so, then a full fluid flush has masked the problem for now.
    You can only drain about 40% of the fluid through the drain plug, so you need to do 3 or 4 changes with a drive in between to actually change about 80%.

I think there's a more complex way of draining it all, but I'm not sure how this is done.[/b]

Hi,

I have done a 4 litre change and things seem to be better (not perfect). I plan on doing another one next weekend and see how it goes...

The problem occurred before the oil change, hence why I did the oil change...It took a few miles to settle, but it does seem to have improved.

Thanks,
    Anthony

My '02 Aero was starting to exactly the same as yours, but not as severe. I did a series of flushes and it is now a dream to drive. Particularly from R back into D, where it was very unsettled and late. Gear changes are now very smooth. Disconnect the battery too after you do the final flush, take it for a smooth gentle drive and let the car 'reset'. It will then need to learn your new change points over the next 100kms or so.

7. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread