Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Theft Protection Failure - 2007 9-3 Sportwagon

13K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  brummygit 
#1 ·
I was woken up at 1am this morning by my car alarm going off - horns, siren & flashing lights.

Now the car is displaying "Theft Protection Failure" on the SID.

Can anyone suggest the cause, or better still a fix. Is this a common 9-3 problem - I didn't find much with a search.

Thanks

#2 ·
See copy of my previous post below, would be interesting to know if you have had the car back to the dealer and what they have to say, this may well be a new problem that is just starting to come to light.

I have a 56 plate 9-3 Sportwagon and have been suffering problems with the alarm sounding for no apparent reason. I have returned the car to the dealer and they have established that the problem lies with the glass tamper circuit. They have described how the small conductive loop on the rear offside window has corroded/worn, which has broken the circuit hence the alarm sounding constantly. The offending piece of conductive strip is located along the bottom of the glass and is behind the trim. When I questioned why it would have corroded they quickly changed their stance and landed on the side of it having worn. The dealer has suggested that it may be that the trim has been rubbing against the strip which has worn it away to such an extent that it has broken the circuit. As my car is months out of warranty, Saab have offered a 40% contribution toward replacing the glass but this still leaves a bill of over £300 if I were to accept this offer. My concern is that if it is either corrosion or wear from the trim, this is not an overnight problem and will have been ongoing for some time, namely whilst still in warranty, I would even suggest that it is a manufacturing/design issue but unfortunately Saab are having none of it.

#3 ·
Hi ozzie john, thanks for your very interesting post. I have taken a quick look at mine and can't see anything obviously worn. One thing I spotted with the side windows in the boot area, is that the connectors at the front are in place on both sides of the car, but the rear connector which has three lines diagonally across the whole window is only connected on the offside of my car - nearside has no connection. Is this correct, or could it have come off?

I've been told that my car needs a visit to read the full fault information on Tech II which I'm hoping to arrange in the next week. I'll post details of the outcome afterwards.

#4 ·
Brummygit

I am not sure about the connections & am not in a position to have a look at mine (away from home), I would assume that the circuit would still appear to be complete as the only way they could confirm that this was the problem (the diagnostics indicated it was the glass tamper circuit) was by bypassing the circuit and then setting the alarm which did not activate. I am still in negotiation with Saab and would appreciate it if you could let me know if you have the same problem and then mine is not an isolated case and will add weight to my argument that it may be as a result of a manufacturing/design problem.

Ozzie John

#6 ·
I've finally managed to get my car in for the diagnosis today and the cause was quite a surprise - the alarm siren is full of water !!!!

Now on my Sportwagon the siren is mounted inside the rear quarter with only the electrical terminals pointing upwards and it seems that this is the way the water got in as the rest of the siren is sealed - but neither the garage or I can see any evidence of water inside the car anywhere, so at the moment the panels are off while a new siren is ordered and we try to fathom where the water came from. It's almost as though it ran down the wiring into just the siren.

If anyone has any ideas where the water came from I'd be grateful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.