Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

9-5 miss-firing only after hot start

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  alsho 
#1 ·
>Miss-firing after starting only when hot.
Your advice please,
> I have a year 2000 9-5 V6 3.0 litre turbo automatic Griffin which
> has done just 90,000 miles. The car starts instantly hot or cold and
> drives as you would expect, smooth and fast. When hot however, if the car
> has been parked for 45 minutes to a couple of hours, it will start
> without problem but after a few seconds will start to miss and then race,
> repeating this sequence for a short while. The accelerator has no effect
> on this. Switching off and then restarting cures the problem which will
> not re-occur until the next time it is parked up for a period of time.
> We have changed the D.I. units and spark plugs, the Lambda sensor and the
> Crankshaft sensor. The throttle body has been cleaned.
>
> It is liveable with because it is predictable and manageable, but
> annoying.
> Anybody got any ideas please?
> Thank you,

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a small thing but it may be worth changing the temperature sensor. Cheap and quick to do and is possibly(?) linked to your issue. Made a big difference to the way my car ran when things weren't quite right.
Fuel filter and even the carbon cannister may be giving strange readings upsetting things on restart. Search the Forum on this topic, I have seen it mentioned a few times in the last few years.
Are you sure you have exactly the right spark plugs intalled for that model engine? Even a slight temperature variant might give trouble.
Also get a resistance reading over your CPS, even though it is new. It may also not be seated correctly in its mount. Easy to do.

Just a few ideas. Hope you get some progress on it.

#3 ·
As well as checking as per Aus's list it may be worth pulling the ECU fuse (think it is number 17) for 30 minutes or so as there may be some aberrant setting that is causing your problems.

If this does not solve it then it may also be worth getting any fault codes read, any decent garage should be able to read fault codes via the OBD port. If there are any post them on here and we can let you know what they refer to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.