Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

How do you make a 3.0 V6 faster?

Tags
faster
3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  David Martin 
#1 ·
Parkers list my 1999 3.0 V6 auto as 200Bhp, 310Nm and 0-60 in 7.5s.
Does anyone have any experience or ideas for enhancing these figures?
It seems that the 2 and 2.3 litre Saab engines are well catered for in the tuning department, whilst the 3 litre GM V6 gets left out.

Cheers,

Tom

#3 ·
Tom

As sgould says there are limited tuning options for the V6 petrol, the Nordic option only offers an additional 20bhp and for the cost it did not seem worth it to me.

The V6 is a very different engine design to the 4 cylinder turbo's. The turbocharger on ours is a much smaller type than found on the others and boosts at a much lower presuure, max boost is about 0.3bar I think.

The turbo also only takes exhaust gas from 3 cylinders, the aim I believe was to enhance low down torque as well as making the maximum torque available over a much wider range and was primarily aimed at the characteristics of the American market.

I think I know what you are suggesting, I do not believe the 0-60 time as quoted, I have seen 8.3s which is probably more realistic. It is a heavy front wheel drive auto, there is, like any auto a lag in getting power through the 'box and to the wheels and with all of that torque it is easy to spin them as well if heavy footed.

I have been surprised by the cars performance, at times it does seem quite rapid, at others it seems to be a little underpowered but in it's defence it is heavy and the gear ratios with only 4 speeds are relatively widely spaced. Second will hit over 70mph.

I have found a firm, progressive technique with the throttle pays dividends in getting the best, Saab use the throttle as a "torque request" to the engine managemant system so letting it build seems to work well.

Check the correct plugs are fitted and gapped to 1mm, also check the air filter is clean, after these were changed mine felt livlier overall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.