6 or 7 speaker audio system
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6 or 7 speaker audio system

Hi, can anyone help.

I have a Saab 93 Vector convertible, 2005 (05) 175bhp. The audio system has seven speaker grills, with one of those in the middle of the dash. The problem is that I had a Bury car kit fitted with the phone muting the audio system and feeding the call through the centre speaker. I was fairly sure that before the kit was fitted the audio system feed through the center speaker, but now only the phone feeds through!

The fitter tells me that the speaker was not wired into the audio system......its left for use with a car phone kit. Is he right?

Also, is there any way I can easily tell if my car has an audio feed to the centre speaker?

My car is going back to the people who fitted the phone kit tomorrow, for another problem so any help would be much appreciated.

Saab did say look for a silver AMP box under the passenger seat, but I can only see a black junction box which is under both seats.

Thank you.

J

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Full throttle
    Did they use the proper 18 pin connector for the phone kit? Or did they try to fit ISO leads or just do a bodge?

You can check the positon of the 18 pin connector if you search the web (or this site) for "easypeasy". If you have the 18 pin connector fitted, they should have used it. And uit would have been virtually plug 'n' play.

Thank you. I'll have chat with the fitter.

Full throttle
    There were one or two cars that have been found without the 18 pin. But not many.

The only cars fitted without the 18 pin connector are ones fitted with a sim card reader from the factory and very basic 1.8i cars (icm1 and no steering wheel controls) they should have used this plug as putting the phone kit in is pretty much plug and play unless you want to wire in the cars mic.

Saab Anorak
    The fitter tells me that the speaker was not wired into the audio system......its left for use with a car phone kit. Is he right?

Also, is there any way I can easily tell if my car has an audio feed to the centre speaker?[/b]
    The fitter is wrong.

The centre dash speaker is part of the AMP1 circuit (for 7 speakers or more). The front door speakers are a part of the AMP1 circuit too, is there anything coming from the door speaker grills??

Have a look under the front passenger seat (slide it forward and look from the rear). There should be a silver box on the left hand side.

If the AMP is not present, then the centre position would have been empty, so would make an ideal position for the phone install.

I have looked under the passenger (& drivers) seat and there is no silver box.

I receive sound through the left & right dash speaker, left and right door speaker and from the left and right rear speakers (under rear windows in my convertible)

There is a speaker in the centre of the dash, could Saab of left this unconnected for future upgrade?

The head unit in my car is WITHOUT the built in lcd display. I see when most people refer to the 7 speaker system they talk about head units with green lcd dislays.

I still pretty sure sound came from the centre speaker before the Bury CC9060 kit was fitted, could I be wrong or was this wishful thinking ???

I'm confused !!!

Saab Anorak
    Me Too (you are driving a 2003-2006 93 sports saloon I assume?).

The Front doors are ONLY fed from AMP1 under the passenger seat. Those speakers cannot function without AMP1 unless someone has tapped off the dash speakers in the past.

Sorry for Rapidshare link, it was the only place I could put it where it didn't get deleted but here is a diagram of the AMP1 system

http://rapidshare.com/files/177500148/AMP1_Cct_Diag.jpg

You will see the O-Bus feeding into the AMP, with outputs to both front door speakers and the Centre Dash speaker.

EDIT: Hang on, I just noticed the Convertible bit.

AMP1 is located somewhere else on the Conv cars. It's mentioned in the rapdshare link picture

Underneath the Left Hand rear side window.

Saab Anorak
    Convertible amp is in the left side of the boot (behind a flap at the bottom of the side trim).

Convertible amp is in the left side of the boot (behind a flap at the bottom of the side trim).[/b]
    the amp1 is located behind the n/s/r 1/4 panel inside the car under the window. If the speaker is there it should work with the radio. Unless the fitter has put it in the blank space or cut it out for the phone kit but there would have been no need to do this if he knew what he was doing...

Thank you to everyone who replied giving assistance, the matter is now resovled.....thankfully.

CHR15, thank you for the wiring diagram link. I showed this to the fitter who then corrected his mistake.

I now have sound running through my middle dash speaker with the Bury CC9060 muting accordingly.....perfect.

I'm now thinking about upgrading the rear speakers via an AMP to improve the overall sound. I see there are plenty of notes on the site covering this, so I'll plough through at a later date.

Many thanks, J.

Saab Newbie
    I've just found this site www.smart-card.com, could I just borrow the technical
    articles from the web site or do I need some kind of permission?. I am writing a project for school.

Ethan

14. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread