Saab 9-3 power loss - Engine light - Traction issues
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saab 9-3 power loss - Engine light - Traction issues

Hi,

Please can anyone offer me some advise. I have had some strange issues with my 2001 9-3 HOT. Here's the chain of events

1. Power loss under acceleration - it will rev up to about 4k then it's almost as if the traction control has kicked in and is killing the power. The turbo gauge goes off the scale unless I ease of the accelerator immediately. The 1st couple of times this happened, the traction control switched it's self off.

2. Even with the traction control switched off, it still behaves in the same manner

3. The engine management light has now come on and the power loss is happening consistently.

One thing to note - I have got a slight water leak from the thermostat housing - could this be causing any problems? It's booked in to get the leak repaired (my local dealer fitted the new thermostat a couple of weeks ago but didn't do a good job) and I will ask them to take a look at the power loss symptoms too. I just thought I would ask on here to see if anyone had experienced the same issues and knew what the possible fault could be.

Also - has anyone got any experience of using Scanparts in Wolverhampton for servicing & diags?

Many thanks - any advise greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Hi

Have you had your direct ignition cassette replaced at all under 'recall' by Saab. (black rectangular module which sits on top of engine with a screw on all 4 corners). You can check with a Saab dealer. Run a search for DI cassette. This could well be the problem either that or a split vacuum hose near turbo/throttle body.

HTH
    Al

9-3 SC 1.8t Vector, metallic black/cream, paddle shift, sports wheel, premium sound, SPA & convenience pack

Thanks for the advice Al.

It turned out to be a faulty crank position sensor.

I will check the DI cassette with the dealer - it might be that I am entitled to a nice shiny new one

Glad you got it sorted! Worth checking DI in case you have trouble down the line.
    Cheers
    Al

9-3 SC 1.8t Vector, metallic black/cream, paddle shift, sports wheel, premium sound, SPA & convenience pack

6. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread