Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Sat-Nav 2005 model

14K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  dogma 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have jsut recently bought a 9-5 Aero (55 Plate) with the Sat-Nav. I was wandering is anyone has any information on this Sat-Nat:-

1. Who manufactures it, Denso is written on the DVD?
2. Where the uit is placed in the car?
3. Where can I get an updated DVD? Can it be downloaded?

I used to have a '02 9-5 with the built-in Kenwood Sat-Nav and I managed to plug in the Kenwood Music Keg (MP3 player music box) is there a similar option on this Sat-Nat?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
S

#2 ·
I have the Denso unit in my 2007 9-5. It isn't the most user friendly unit around.

Does it look like this (but in a smaller surround)?

If not it will be the Kenwood 3200 based system, or, heaven forbid, the earlier one the Kenwood 2200 which you may have had in your old car.

If you want to use the satnav, you have yo have the satnav DVD in the dashboard slot. This means you can't use the dash slot for a music CD - they have to go in the boot changer (if you have one).

If you want to use the TMC traffic info you have to listen to Classic FM all day.

If I have any serious navigating to do, I take the Tomtom.

#3 ·
If you want to use the TMC traffic info you have to listen to Classic FM all day.[/b]
SGould,

Not quite right on this one. Firstly, the TMC will only work if there is a route programmed in. And secondly, you don't need to have Classic tuned in, the TMC module automatically uses the Classic carrier without the need to have the station on the radio as it is a receiver itself and works independant of the radio tuner/receiver. I've found that TMC is very poor in the uk unless you are in an area where traffic is transmitted. In the north of england, these's virtually no TMC transmitted, but down south and around major cities, TMC does kick in when a route is being followed.

I must admit, since using the sat nav, I am disappointed with it and think my previous VDO Dayton unit was far better. I hate the drive protection as I think it is hopeless and can be dangerous as you're tempted to stop when you need to enter data....why can't a passenger operate the unit?? I can still use the radio so why can't I use the sat nav?? Realise the safety issues, but I am an adult and don't need 'big brother' to run everything in my life....(rant over). Anyway, I've been corresponding with a company called Coastaltech over in the states as they have various unlocking devices for OEM sat nav units. They have a unlocking device for the Saab 9-7 and other GM vehicles (plus japanese cars), so if we all bombard them with requests for information, they may develop a 2006+ Denso gizmo to remove the drive protection?

Regards,
Mark

#4 ·
Ah! Yes! The ***** drive protection :( At the very least it needs to be disabled when the car computer senses a passenger is sitting in the seat.

Even if it was switched off you still have to be in the car to program a built-in satnav. With my Tomtom you just sit at home in the warm setting up the route the night before :)

When I have been listening to any program but Classic, the TMC has the orange line through it, even though Classic is set up as the TMC channel on the set-up screen. This is in and around London.

#5 ·
Ah! Yes! The ***** drive protection :( At the very least it needs to be disabled when the car computer senses a passenger is sitting in the seat.

Even if it was switched off you still have to be in the car to program a built-in satnav. With my Tomtom you just sit at home in the warm setting up the route the night before :)

When I have been listening to any program but Classic, the TMC has the orange line through it, even though Classic is set up as the TMC channel on the set-up screen. This is in and around London.[/b]
My TMC is fine when I have a route displayed. Think it may also have something to do with the rubbish antenna the 9-5 has fitted.....Do you have a wiring circuit to see if you have an independant TMC module on your setup?

I'll let you know how I get on with the drive protection gizmo.....but it may be some time?

Regards,
Mark

#6 ·
What version of the map/software do you have? As it's a new car it should be 2008, I suppose. I wonder if there has been a software update as well as a map update?

My DVD says "Saab Navigation System - Europe" "Saab Part No: 12771885

Then around the edge: "©2006 DENSO CORPORATION . ©1993-2005 NAVTEQ. All rights reserved . Source IGN France . Made in Japan . DENSO Product No 464210-6510"

I took some pictures this morning. First two show the screen when the radio is tuned to Classic FM.

The others are the same when not tuned to Classic FM.

They come up the same whether there is a route planned or not. The "Select Station" touch button is never "live".

#7 ·
1. Who manufactures it, Denso is written on the DVD?[/b]
Correct it's a Denso system, and this system was only used in the MY05 cars. I believe the Denso system used in the MY06-on Dame Edna cars is slightly different again....?

2. Where the unit is placed in the car?[/b]
I believe it's in the same place as the earlier Kenwood system, under the rear shelf on a saloon, or in the side cargo area on an estate.

3. Where can I get an updated DVD? Can it be downloaded?[/b]
Not sure you can. Not seen any updated DVD for this system available on the 'net', unlike the older Kenwood Sat-Nav. I suspect, you'd have to get one from Saab if the later DVD's in the Dame Edna cars are newer, they may work.

I used to have a '02 9-5 with the built-in Kenwood Sat-Nav and I managed to plug in the Kenwood Music Keg (MP3 player music box) is there a similar option on this Sat-Nat?[/b]
Don't think there is :(

#8 ·
What version of the map/software do you have? As it's a new car it should be 2008, I suppose. I wonder if there has been a software update as well as a map update?

My DVD says "Saab Navigation System - Europe" "Saab Part No: 12771885

Then around the edge: "©2006 DENSO CORPORATION . ©1993-2005 NAVTEQ. All rights reserved . Source IGN France . Made in Japan . DENSO Product No 464210-6510"[/b]
Will,

My DVD is Saab Part No 12779152. I doesn't have 2008 embossed on the DVD anywhere but assume it is since it's a new car.
The edge also reads:
"©2007 DENSO CORPORATION . ©1993-2006 NAVTEQ. All rights reserved . Source IGN France . Made in Japan . DENSO Product No 464210-6880"

So some differences in our discs.

I'll have a play over the coming days and see if I can invoke the TMC error you seem to have if not listening to Classic!

I hate the drive protection....what a waste of money!

Regards,
Mark

#10 ·
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies,

It seems the Denso system is even worse than the old Kenwood DV2200 system I had in the old 9-5, oh great!.

sgould, it's the same unit you have, I too have the problem with the TMC not working on any other station than Classic FM, if I choose to listen to any other station I lose the TMC.

areopilot, I'm afraid the unit is not in the same place as the old Kenwood systems, I can't find it anywhere in the boot, only the CD changer.

The Dame Edna cars, wha's all this then?

Is it possible to change the unit, if I can find it, for another SatNav system?

Thanks
S

#11 ·
areopilot, I'm afraid the unit is not in the same place as the old Kenwood systems, I can't find it anywhere in the boot, only the CD changer.[/b]
You need to look at WIS to see then.

But it sounds as if it could be all contained within the head unit then....?

The Dame Edna cars, wha's all this then?[/b]
Nickname given to the facelifted cars from MY06-on that have the chrome 'Dame Edna Everige' glasses trim around the head lights.

Is it possible to change the unit, if I can find it, for another SatNav system?[/b]
Unlikely, although, if it is all contained within the head unit, you maybe able to do an expensive swop out for an aftermarket unit, but then you'll have all the associated issues with speaker/amp/steering wheel compatibility stuff.

#12 ·
I would also say I'm in sgould's position regarding the enforced cultural education should I dare to ask for TMC info. Tuned to classic it's there, as soon as I retune then it goes. I've not ruled out that it's a deliberate decision from Saab to maintain brand status ;-)

I think (big guess here) that in my MY08 estate then as well as the changer in nearside side cubby hole in the boot, there is also some gubbins under the floor between the spare wheel and the rear seat, right in the middle. It's a box with wires that you can see when the floor is lifted. Not dared to touch it as it looks expensive (is a box in a saab with electrical connections) and whilst nothing seems broken then I wasn't going to chance it.

#16 ·
I would also say I'm in sgould's position regarding the enforced cultural education should I dare to ask for TMC info. Tuned to classic it's there, as soon as I retune then it goes. I've not ruled out that it's a deliberate decision from Saab to maintain brand status ;-)[/b]
Some of us consider Classic FM as "dumbing-down" you know!

You just can't beat those long embarrassing silences that you get with Radio 3.
Never know if it's because the presenter has died or they are playing something very avant-garde..........

#18 ·
is there only me who likes the denso system then? I find it the fastest to program and easiest to use of any nav systems i've tried, admittedly the tmc thing on classic is a pain but are they the only ones broadcasting tmc, and is tmc particularly effective in any case, or does it let you get too close to a jam to redirect you effectively? D.F

#19 ·
I have now used the Satnav for a number of weeks and I can confirm that the Denso system is PANTS! I find it frustrating as it changes the slipt view when I'm on the motorway, so I'm constantly manually changing it, I can't listen to any other radio station other than Classic FM if I want the TMC to work, and other little niggly functions of the Satnav.
I see the Satnav buttons in the new 9-5's are the same as mine, but I'm sure its not the Denso system, does anyone know what the system is in the new 9-5's and can it be installed in my 9-5?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.