Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Power steering fluid

38K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Bellakelpie 
#1 ·
Yawn.

While I was in Fulham Saab this afternoon for a fan belt, see other post, I asked for some power steering fluid since I'm in need of a top up.

They were good enough to provide me with a £20.13 bottle of the stuff. However, on closer inspection, it specifically says for "All Saab 9000 to 1997 to chassis no V1014201". Mine is 1997 but later chassis.

Ought I to go change it? It's just a bit of a bore having to go back and moan that I've been sold the wrong stuff, but I don't want to go putting the wrong stuff in, that's why I went to Saab! I would like to be well informed when I return, however.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. :)

#2 ·
I would return the bottle and change it - the VIN number being more specific than the year etc. Mine is a late '97 and I remember reading somewhere that "something" was changed, hence the different fluid type. Sorry I can't be more specific.

At least you've got the VIN number on your side, and should have more cash in you pocket by the end of it!

#3 ·
They were good enough to provide me with a £20.13 bottle of the stuff. However, on closer inspection, it specifically says for "All Saab 9000 to 1997 to chassis no V1014201". Mine is 1997 but later chassis.[/b]

I've just spent long hours recently looking into this so hopefully can help!

I'm guessing from the price, that the stuff you were supplied with is part no 315161224 (PSF 4634) This is mineral based and is for vehicles up to chassis no V1014201 like you say.

You should have been supplied with the cheaper fluid, part no. 93160548 which is synthetic based so I would definitely take it back.

I actually had the opposite problem in that I have a 1994 Aero which needs a flush of the power steering fluid. In my case because the earlier cars use a more expensive fluid, I tried sourcing it for somewhere other than SAAB.

In replying to your post I might as well give my full findings at the same time for the benefit of others - I've not done the flush yet though.

It says in the early edition SAAB service manuals (pre 1994) to use Texaco Power Steering Fluid 4634 or GM Power Steering Fluid part no. 105 0017. It also mentions this on SAAB9000.com. However I've just been in contact with Texaco, Stoke on Trent and the 25 litre drums they used to supply are no longer available either in the UK or from Belgium where they used to import it from (sorry Bill J!!)

It turns out that you can get the GM Power Steering Fluid but it is not the stuff you would pick up at a Vauxhall dealership (you can get the later synthetic stuff from them though - I bought some by mistake like the fluid for the late 1997 9000's, which I discovered afterwards has the same part number as the SAAB fluid - 93160548)

The correct GM PSF is an American spec fluid and I tracked down an importer of US vehicles and spares who sell it at £10 per quart (litre). The part number 105 0017 has been superceeded by 89020661. This is a nearly colourless fluid like the SAAB PSF 4634 (I have a bottle of the SAAB PSF which is actually slightly darker than the GM stuff but perhaps that's because it's a few years old).

The website for the importer I used can be found here. Contact name is Mark

I also found an entry here on a US forum which gives some background on the Texaco/GM PSF.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had success recently getting PSF 4634 in larger amounts.

David

#4 ·
Thanks for the info on this thread. V-useful.

I'd be interested to hear member views on whether there is any value/benefit in changing power steering fluid on a late 1997 car, which retains the original fully synthetic Saab fluid?

I have noticed a slight leak on the lower power steering fluid pipes , which are a bit wet, but level has only dropped from near max, to near min in the 7 years I have owned the car, so not sure whetehr to get it changed 100% or top up with some replacement fluid.

If anyone recommends/justifies the need for replacement, is it quick and easy to do, or not?

- thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info on this thread. V-useful.

I'd be interested to hear member views on whether there is any value/benefit in changing power steering fluid on a late 1997 car, which retains the original fully synthetic Saab fluid?

I have noticed a slight leak on the lower power steering fluid pipes , which are a bit wet, but level has only dropped from near max, to near min in the 7 years I have owned the car, so not sure whetehr to get it changed 100% or top up with some replacement fluid.

If anyone recommends/justifies the need for replacement, is it quick and easy to do, or not?

- thanks in advance.[/b]
Hi Paul,

I'd have said yes to doing a fluid change. especially if the steering makes strange groaning noises in operation like mine. I know your car doesn't use the same fluid as my 1994 model but if it's not been changed for at least seven years, it's been in there for some time now, possibly the life of the vehicle. Have you read the article here about doing a PS fluid change? All sorts of muck came out in that case.

#8 ·
Well I've still not got any more fluid into the power steering...

I've been busy and haven't got round to it, but last week finally took back the bottle of mineral based fluid to Saab Fulham. Armed with my knowledge from this fine source, I pointed out to them that I'd been sold the wrong stuff. Much disappearing and checking went on, finally I got presented with bottle of GM branded green fluid, an apology and a refund. I was assured that one was gold and one was green, this was the right stuff for my car because it’s green.

Off I went. However, before tipping the stuff in, I thought I’d check what colour mine is. Yup, you guessed it: a sort of old yellow gold colour. Not green really.

So what’s up? Has someone in the past changed it and put the old mineral fluid in? Should I change the lot? (I looked at the procedure, thank you for pointing that out Aeroman. Not sure I want to start on that job.)
I’d like to have a good idea before I go back, slightly cap in hand, to Saab Fulham. Did I accidentally get sold the right stuff in the first place?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

#9 ·
Well I've still not got any more fluid into the power steering...

I've been busy and haven't got round to it, but last week finally took back the bottle of mineral based fluid to Saab Fulham. Armed with my knowledge from this fine source, I pointed out to them that I'd been sold the wrong stuff. Much disappearing and checking went on, finally I got presented with bottle of GM branded green fluid, an apology and a refund. I was assured that one was gold and one was green, this was the right stuff for my car because it’s green.

Off I went. However, before tipping the stuff in, I thought I’d check what colour mine is. Yup, you guessed it: a sort of old yellow gold colour. Not green really.

So what’s up? Has someone in the past changed it and put the old mineral fluid in? Should I change the lot? (I looked at the procedure, thank you for pointing that out Aeroman. Not sure I want to start on that job.)
I’d like to have a good idea before I go back, slightly cap in hand, to Saab Fulham. Did I accidentally get sold the right stuff in the first place?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.[/b]
As far as changing it is concerned while there is a right way, but it can get real messy, I found it was enough to take a turkey baster and such the resevoir dry, then refill. Repeat weekly for several weeks = clean fluid. Best to change the filter every 10 years or so.

Shame about the prices, the filters are much cheaper in USA, and the GM spec ps fluids can easily be bought for less than 1 quid a quart at auto stores.

#10 ·
I could turkey baste the fluid, but if I were changing from mineral to synthetic, as might be the case, I would think I'd need to do it all at once, not mixing it slowly for weeks?

I visit the states quite regularly, so could get a filter there, but would draw the line at carting back gallons of ps fluid!

Can anyone offer a suggestion for why I appear to have mineral fluid (gold) when the chassis number says I should have synthetic (green)?

#11 ·
Goldensyrup. Check with Saab (computer records for your car) to see if steering rack and/or power steering fluid has ever been changed. If not, chances are you have always had the older spec fluid in your vehicle. Maybe a production fault at the point of transitiomn (1997) to the new synthetic fluid, perhaps?

#12 ·
Goldensyrup,

The Haynes manual procedure for replacing power steering fluid provides a draining procedure, then a top up process. If you are changing from non-synthetic to synthetic, I would use this procedure. Although, my recommendation is just use the same fluid - which means returning to Saab (again) and advising them of the mix up with your car, plus checking their computer records.

I changed/replaced my synthetic (1998 car) fluid last weekend, using the pump in/out procedure defined here..:
http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/suspension/steeringflush.php

After jacking front of car up, the following is additional advice, further to the info in the above link..:

I used 4 feet of clear reinforced petrol pipe (appox 12 mm inside diameter).
NB: This pipe was approx the size of standard hose pipe.

A 12 inch piece of black silicon hose (4mm inside diameter) plugged nicely into this clear hose, and the other end into the end of the Saab 9000 power steering return feed pipe. I just nipped up the jubilee clip on the connection to the Saab 9000 return feed hose, but no other clip was necessary. This 12mm piece of reduced diameter pipe may help to reduce the flow when the engine is running.
The end of the 4 foot clear hose goes into a 5 litre used oil (or equivalent) container to collect the old power steering fluid.

To bung the power steering fluid return pipe inlet, just use 4 inches of clear reinforced petrol pipe (same diameter as above), with a piece of wood dowel (or equivalent) plugged into the end. No jubilee clips required to hold in situ.

Once engine is running, the steering wheel needs to immediately be turned from lock to lock quite quickly, in order to ensure the old fluid is pumped out. My 'helper' managed 4 complete lock to lock turns, whilst I kept the reservoir topped up using 2.5 litres of new fluid. I retained 0.5 litres to top the system up after stopping the engine, connecting the return feed back up and then - with engine still off - winding steering wheel back and forwards slowly to dispel all air bubbles. Then using 0.3 litres to top reservoir up to Max level, with 0.2 litres spare fluid.

I found a total of 2.8 litres was sufficient to purge the system of 10 year old fully synthetic fluid, although the Saab9000.com reporter (see link above) recommended 4 litres for non-semi-synthetic fluid replacement in older cars.

Overall, simple process, and P-S-pump remained filled with fluid, helping to prevent damage - which may be a better process than the Haynes manual drain-refill-rotate steering wheel to expel air bubbles- all with engine off-approach.

HTH's,
Paul

#13 ·
Fully Synthetic Fluid Cost..:

The 2007 onwards fully sythetic fluid (green/blue colour) is approx £6 from West Midlands Saab Centre and other non-franchised Saab dealers. :)

It is branded with the GM logo, and as stated earlier, is exactly the same stuff sold by Saab and GM.

Don't buy from a GM main dealer cos they charger £12 for 1 litre, which is a rip off..!! :eek:

#14 ·
I went back to Saab Fulham and explained what I'd found. We sort of agreed that it's probably just always been like that, and if it works just stick with it. So he took back the synthetic and gave me the mineral, which I've topped it up with.
And in fairness to them, they refunded the cost of the fluid for all the trouble, which was nice.

While it's all still working, I think I'll avoid trying to change the fluid at present. There are more pressing things on my to do list, and not just the car. Though there is something wrong with the exhaust, which I'll post about when I've got a moment.

Thanks for everyone's help.

#15 ·
To add my experience to this thread - My 98 CSE 2.3T also needed the power steering fluid topping up - having noted the comments on this thread I checked the colour which - as in 'golden syrups' case - was dull gold. I contacted the local dealership who said " the synthetic fluid- which is blue green was for 93 and 95 saabs from 97 onwards - all we have ever used in 9000s - upto the last ones manufactured is what we call clear fluid which is a dull gold colour. This was £20.13 & vat - and I assume was the mineral fluid. It all seems rather contradictory to what has been said before - but the mechanic seemed very confident of his facts and assuming it is correct no one with a 9000 should see the blue green fluid in the power steering reservoir.

#16 ·
Hi Agy,

I contacted the local dealership who said " the synthetic fluid- which is blue green was for 93 and 95 saabs from 97 onwards - all we have ever used in 9000s - upto the last ones manufactured is what we call clear fluid which is a dull gold colour.[/b]
Hmmm..

Just changed my 1997/8 year 9000 (Anniversary 2L Eco). Original fluid still in container, and it was virtually black - which I take to be the blue/green fluid. I will check handbook and verify spec - assuming it actually says.

#17 ·
Ahh, this old thread. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what fluid to get now! The stuff I got before, the gold mineral fluid is not readily available any longer. Funny that.

The power steering started groaning the other day, quite badly. Checking, the reservoir has nothing in it, so I need to put something in sharpish. I should probably take it to the garage for a flush and have it all changed, but I think I should put something in before driving it again!

Any suggestions? Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.