The dreaded EGR issues
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The dreaded EGR issues

Hi,

I am a newbie so apologies for anything and everything on this post that may sound amateuristic or already discussed.... But HELLLPP.

I bought a Saab 9-3 2.2TiD (03 plate) and getting Engine Managment Light only on Motorway journeys. Normal roads perfectly fine (although I notice some smoke from exhaust when I accelerate hard).

My questions are

1. I have been told the EGR valve costs 182 from Dealers - is that fair?
    2. Should I get this fitted from Manufacturers or any recommended dealers (I am guessing i might get the added perks of warranty on work carried-out)
    3. Is the EGR valve known to cause extra emmissions from the exhaust when accellerated hard?
    4. Does anyone recommend any decent Saab Independant Mechanics in the West Yorkshire region?
    5. Does EGR fault affect MPGs (as I am getting 28mpg on local roads)
    6. Heard the same fault code displays if there is a split in Intercooler pipe - how do I make sure I am not getting a part replaced that doesn't need replacing?
    7. Why doesn't my AA Warranty cover EGR faults AND would the Warranty cover faults with my Intercooler pipe? (3 Star AA cover)

Sorry for the great list BUT who else can I trust other than the real Saab experts that are not out to make a quick-buck out of me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saabisti
    When the EGR valve went on my 2005 1.9TiD, the symptoms i got were that at low revs (pulling away etc) it had virtually no power at all, as if it was firing on 2 cylinders. As the revs built it would 'sometimes' pick up and work fairly well.
    I cant remember if the engine management indicator came on or not.
    I am not convinced that yours is the EGR valve. I may be wrong though.

Saabisti
    My engine management light didn't come on nor was there any smoke from the exhaust. The symptoms were as PCthug described

I would be inclined to suspect MAF/MAP sensors need cleaning, also found with all diesels previously owned supermarket 'cheap' diesel invariably caused smoke on hard acceleration.
    If you think the price that Saab want for an EGR valve is excessive then the quote, that I've just had, for a Saab supplied replacement VP44 injection pump at over 2000 makes that look positively bargain basement!

See other posts about smoke and low mpg on this engine. EGR fault can be a red herring as the car thinks its not working. Try removing the EGR and checking the plunger works correctly before spending money on a replacement.

Probably your intercooler has gone like everybody else!

www.adrad.co.uk do a good price replacement.

Cheers,

Deejay

Saab Anorak
    The OP's symptoms are similar to mine.

Mine was a split Intercooler. I did have engine management light on as well.

The Fault codes did not point to Intercooler though which was helpful!!

2K for a VP44 pump EEK!!!!

I have had a performance chip for the 2.2Tid in my cupboard for 6 months. Been too scared to fit it before but was thinking of fitting it now.
    I suppose it would mean more strain on the pump, intercooler etc so more chance of failures??

The OP's symptoms are similar to mine.

Mine was a split Intercooler. I did have engine management light on as well.

The Fault codes did not point to Intercooler though which was helpful!!
    2K for a VP44 pump EEK!!!!

I have had a performance chip for the 2.2Tid in my cupboard for 6 months. Been too scared to fit it before but was thinking of fitting it now.
    I suppose it would mean more strain on the pump, intercooler etc so more chance of failures??[/b]
    I've had a Van Aaken Smartbox on the car for the last 18 months, probably 20K miles though I cant see why that should cause pump failure.

Saab Anorak
    I've just been concerned that the increased power under my right foot may cause a greater strain on engine components (Clutch, Turbo, Intercooler, fuel delivery system etc).

I wouldn't be driving it like a nutcase, but I would dearly like to have some acceleration below 1500rpm! after 1800rpm I am quite happy with the power of it.

I will get it fitted soon but I am looking for some reassurance

Saab Junior
    I have a MY04 2.2 TiD, and I have the same problems.

On the motorway the Engine Management light comes on and gives reduced power, although no warning on the SID. But again local roads no warning lights but smoke under acceleration.

I have visited my local independent but at the time no warning light was on. He suggested the mass air meter/air mass filter was defective.

I have listened to the engine and there are no hissing sounds concerned with air leaks.

Should I just buy a new maf and see if this cures the problem.

Unfort - I've had both problems that of the engine light and the syptoms described on my 2.2 2001 93 and first time it was the dreaded MAF/MAP second time it was just some 20 quid sensor (can't remember now what i was - few years back)

I now have a 1.9 150 Vector Sport (44k miles) and I've not seen it for a week as it went it for injectors (rough pulling away and ticking over) during the week leading up to the work the EGR went as described flat as a can of pee pee but sometimes picked up... but never when you need it!

Got to admit fellow Saabies I can see the dark side and I'm walking towards it!!!!! I may be an Ex-Saabie soon :-( I love the car but jesus this one is really pushing me (Had the alternator go few weeks back in middle of wales)

Good luck with yours matey (my local indie actaully changed the MAF/MAP just to see if it would fix it as a loan top blokes)

Saab Newbie
    About a week ago I ended a journey with everything apparantly OK (car running normally, no warning lights, no SID messages). I stopped the engine and the engine management light came on and stayed on even after I had taken out the key. The warning light went out about 10 seconds later. Re-started the car with no problems - the SID went through its "Checking... Check OK" routine, all the other warning lights (charging, oil, EPS) went out as normal but the Engine Management light stayed on. The light only went out about 10 seconds again after stopping the engine.

I rang SAAB Assistance (the car is still under a warranty), described the symptoms and they suggested I drive the car to see if performance was reduced in any way. I did that, spoke to them again and as there were no other symptoms at all they advised that I would be able to continue to drive the car until it could be checked at the dealers.

The car (1.9TiD, 04) was with them today and the problem has been identified as the EGR valve... and the dealer is awaiting stock. My warranty provides a replacement car for 7 days, I just hope that the dealer gets the parts in before the middle of next week!

Frankb, sorry to tell you this but apparently it will be 8 weeks before the new design EGR valves are available.

I had been waiting over a month, then last week my 93 went in for a seized inlet manifold and had a modified EGR valve fitted. Within 1 mile it was obvious it wasn't working and it was replaced with another modified valve. This is still not right, I get what can be described as massive turbo lag, but I'm going to have to wait for the new design valves. The dealer told me he had an announcement of 8 weeks.

Waiting for a mod'ed egr for my my07 120 TiD. Poor fuel consumption [expletive deleted] runnig.

How come other manf suchas BMW or merc ar'nt getting the problem

serves us right for burning oil instead of petrol!!!

First post on this forum, hi to you all.

My wife's 05 1.9TiD suffered a failed EGR valve 2-weeks ago but there was no light showing, just a massive loss of power below 3K RPM. It went into the dealer under Saab Assistance and she got a hire car for 2-days when they said they had done a temporary repair (no new EGR valves available) and this should be ok for the time being. After 3-days it went again but this time it wouldn't run at all so it went back and they are keeping the car until the new valves are available (she has been given a Vectra until her car is fixed).
    It was already due to go in to have a new gearbox fitted at some point (the original one has never felt smooth in operation so they agreed to replace it) and this has now been done but when they rang to keep us updated on progress they said that the inlet manifold "had some play in it" so they have replaced that with a new one as well. I am not sure what they meant but is this a comon problem or could they have damaged it in some way when playing with the valve?

Saab Newbie
    murtaghm - My car is now one of about fifteen sitting at the dealers waiting for EGR valves... the best timing that they could give was "at least two weeks wait".

slant4 asked why BMW and Mercedes didn't seem to be affected. Apparently our local Enterprise Car Rental depot has got a couple of cars off the road awiting these valves. I don't think they run any SAABs so some other manufacturers are being affected.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast