Rear Passenger Door Won't Lock/Unlock
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear Passenger Door Won't Lock/Unlock

Hello... I just bought a 2003 9-3 today and when I got home I noticed that the back passenger door will not lock or unlock unless I manually press the lock down or pull it up. The remote will not unlock it or lock it and the lock/unlock button on the door won't lock or unlock it either. Any ideas as to what it could be. I called the guy I bought it from and his answer was to unhook the battery and let the car reset, that sounds fishy to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Anorak
    Its a known problem, it will need a new actuator for the rear door lock assembly.

The Vauxhall Vectra unit also fits and is cheaper then the SAAB supplied unit.

The SID display on your dash will probably also be showing a door open fault as the ECU thinks the door is open.

Hi and welcome to Saabscene.

Yes this does sound like a door lock actuator or solenoid as it's sometimes called, but it could also be a wiring fault on or around the door. Easy to check, strip the door take of the wiring plug off the solenoid and when pressing the lock/unlock you will get a live on one side of the plug and earth on the other side that will switch from side to side depending on lock or unlock, If you have a live/earth here it's the solenoid that's faulty

Its a known problem, it will need a new actuator for the rear door lock assembly.

The Vauxhall Vectra unit also fits and is cheaper then the SAAB supplied unit.[/b]
    Thanks for the information, unfortunately I'm in the US so I'll have to go with the Saab parts.

The SID display on your dash will probably also be showing a door open fault as the ECU thinks the door is open.[/b]
    The SID gives me a message when I try to lock the car, it says that the lock failed and to contact a Saab dealer (or something to that effect).

Gas Flowed Head
    Welcome to the board Juventuz

Saab Newbie
    Hi all - this is my first ever forum post so apologies if I break any conventions here...

I have a similar problem with my Saab 9-3 convertible (2.0l Vector, 53 plate) in that the passenger door won't respond to remote key commands but I can pull it up / push it down and physically lock / unlock with the key. The driver's display report no problem with it though I did get messages about Lock System Failure a while back and then it was OK again.

In a recent MOT, the Saab dealer said that they'd downloaded new software to the control system for the door but that they couldn't guarantee that would fix it - however £245 for a new door lock would cover it off! Mmm...yeah I'm sure it would.

I noticed on this post that the door "actuator or solenoid" failing is a known fault. Does anyone know if this can be bought as a spare part or does it come as part of a new door lock?

I've had quotes for a 2nd hand door lock (is it actually a new door lock I need to resolve this problem?) ranging from £57 (Neo Brothers Ltd, 3 months warranty) to £81 (Saab Parts ASAP, 6 months warranty). If I need to go down this route (and I guess the same applies with the "actuator or solenoid" route too) how easy is it to DIY fit it? Does the new lock need to be coded in some way to work with my existing remote key fob?

Finally, (you'll be glad to hear!) I read here and elsewhere that the locks used are the same as those of the Vauxhall Vectra and Vauxhaull Sonata. Is this information provided for spare part purchase or is it being suggested that a Vauxhall dealer won't charge as much for supplying and fitting a brand new mechanism to my Saab?

Thanks for your input!

Saab Anorak
    Vauxhalls hourly rate is cheaper than SAAB but not by a great margin however the parts are cheaper.

Seats and VW's for years have shared the same platforms and now do the same with engines, parts bagged Seat are on average 25% cheaper than the same part bagged VW.

It doesnt help when manufacturers imply to the buyer that they always must buy from the relevant brand and no parts are shared across platforms, utter tosh, its so easy to research parts and peoples knowledge now with the dominance of the good old internet.

Seats and VW's for years have shared the same platforms and now do the same with engines, parts bagged Seat are on average 25% cheaper than the same part bagged VW.[/b]
    Not true, All parts are bagged the same and priced the same also the same part no: is used be it VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda! Possibly also for Bentley, Bugatti & Lamborghini. I'm not sure but I guess GM will do the same with shared parts between Vauxhall and Saab as all Saab and Vauxhall parts now come in the same packaging.
    I've had quotes for a 2nd hand door lock (is it actually a new door lock I need to resolve this problem?) ranging from £57 (Neo Brothers Ltd, 3 months warranty) to £81 (Saab Parts ASAP, 6 months warranty). If I need to go down this route (and I guess the same applies with the "actuator or solenoid" route too) how easy is it to DIY fit it? Does the new lock need to be coded in some way to work with my existing remote key fob?[/b]
    The door lock is a full unit with the solenoid built in, DIY fitting is possible depending on how competent you are? And no coding is needed as it's only the catch mechanism you are changing.

Saabisti
    Hi all - this is my first ever forum post so apologies if I break any conventions here...

I have a similar problem with my Saab 9-3 convertible (2.0l Vector, 53 plate) in that the passenger door won't respond to remote key commands but I can pull it up / push it down and physically lock / unlock with the key. The driver's display report no problem with it though I did get messages about Lock System Failure a while back and then it was OK again.

In a recent MOT, the Saab dealer said that they'd downloaded new software to the control system for the door but that they couldn't guarantee that would fix it - however £245 for a new door lock would cover it off! Mmm...yeah I'm sure it would.

I noticed on this post that the door "actuator or solenoid" failing is a known fault. Does anyone know if this can be bought as a spare part or does it come as part of a new door lock?

I've had quotes for a 2nd hand door lock (is it actually a new door lock I need to resolve this problem?) ranging from £57 (Neo Brothers Ltd, 3 months warranty) to £81 (Saab Parts ASAP, 6 months warranty). If I need to go down this route (and I guess the same applies with the "actuator or solenoid" route too) how easy is it to DIY fit it? Does the new lock need to be coded in some way to work with my existing remote key fob?

Finally, (you'll be glad to hear!) I read here and elsewhere that the locks used are the same as those of the Vauxhall Vectra and Vauxhaull Sonata. Is this information provided for spare part purchase or is it being suggested that a Vauxhall dealer won't charge as much for supplying and fitting a brand new mechanism to my Saab?

Thanks for your input![/b]
    In my experience, Vauxhall dealers will not touch SAAB. Both GM, identical mechanically in many respects, but they just wont. Very anti-competitive, but I guess their attitude is that as you paid more for the SAAB they can get more out of you for servicing!.
    My local Vauxhall dealer would service my wifes Ford, but not my SAAB!. Where are those European laws when you want them!

Regarding the lock mechanism, it is very easy to get to, there are some instructions on here somewhere explaining the door trim removal. Had mine off a number of times to resolve other problems, once you get the hang of it then it only takes 5 mins. Probably worth a visual inspection 1st, could just be a loose wire or something loose mechanically..

Hi all,

I think I may be in a spot of trouble...... Same problem has just occurred in my 04 Vector, rear drivers side door wont open. Am getting the "lock system failure" message and every now and again the button will pop up or down but the door will remain locked. I'm now an expert at removing the door card with the door still locked , all connections are in place so going down the way of actuator failure £140 plus VAT from local SAAB.

Problem I see is removing the actuator from a locked door ...... am I right to see £ signs mounting ?

I've no problem going for Vauxhall parts but hows the job done with the door permanently locked?

Still in the pooh so to speak has anyone any new ideas on this please?

If the button goes up and down from the remote I would think the solanoid is working and it is a link between this and the lock that has broken. ( i've never seen inside the door so don't know but there should be some way once the door card is off to unlock it ).

I have exactly the same issue, the rear passenger door won't lock with the central locking and if I lock all doors from the inside I get the lock error.

Just picked up the car as well, should have checked, but I guess you can't check everything I suppose.

Re: Rear Passenger Door Won't Lock/Unlock

Apologies for jumping in on this thread but i have a similar problem. The rear doors do not lock or unlock when i press the remote. It is not so much of a problem when they do not lock as i can push the lock lever down manually on the inside which locks the door. When they do not unlock though, lifting the locking lever on the inside doesn't do anything. The rear windows do not work either when the locks are not working. There is no error sign on the dash though when they stop working. Any ideas what is wrong here? Is it the actuators or the solenoids?

Any help would be much appreciated

Re: Rear Passenger Door Won't Lock/Unlock

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyjack2005 View Post
    Apologies for jumping in on this thread but i have a similar problem. The rear doors do not lock or unlock when i press the remote. It is not so much of a problem when they do not lock as i can push the lock lever down manually on the inside which locks the door. When they do not unlock though, lifting the locking lever on the inside doesn't do anything. The rear windows do not work either when the locks are not working. There is no error sign on the dash though when they stop working. Any ideas what is wrong here? Is it the actuators or the solenoids?

Any help would be much appreciated
    After looking at it for some time, the problem seems to be a rear door power failure. It effects both rear doors at the same time causing the locks not to work or the rear windows. Any ideas what would cause this problem? Where does the power come from? Does it run through the EHU?

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast