Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Fixing a tear in convertible roof

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SPG66 
#1 ·
Just found a nasty rip in my hood and cant afford to have it fixed right now,has anybody got any repair tips that dont make it look too crappy from the outside?

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Depends on what you mean by nasty is it a big gash but clean cut or is it a rough gash. I've had experience of both
. I repaired mine using glass fibre cloth and windscreen sealant, Sikaflex or similar. You need to get to it from underneath so will probably have to drop the headliner. Unlatch the hood to take the strain off the material, tape up the hole from the outside, cut the fibre glass cloth to size and cover with sikaflex, apply to underside of hole and leave to cure. Easy as that.........well sort of. it's messy, the Sikaflex seems to get everywhere even wearing gloves. I applied Sikaflex to the outside aswell which didn't look very good but its only to keep the water out untill I replace the hood. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.