Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Led Indicator, Rear Lights & Brake Lights

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mark e 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, has anyone any experiance of fitting these and problems with the SID failure being triggered?

I am intrested in replacing al the bulbs for LED as I am told they are fit once and forget forever as they are rated at 50,000 hours, and with children who cant help but slam the tailgate down when the lights are on it normaly means a new bulb as the filiment cops it.

thanks,

Johnboy

#2 ·
Yes, I've tried a couple of sets from different suppliers.

They were all pants and I've sent them back for refund.

The red ones seemed bright enough but because LEDs emit a very narrow band of spectrum, unless your red lenses are exactly the right colour (most aren't) they will filter out most of the light. The brake light was about as bright as a normal sidelight when I tired it.

So I was a little mroe hopeful about the amber indicators given that I have clear lenses. Again though, no joy. Way too dim.

There probably are some lamps out there that are bright enough; there are certainly LEDs made that can do the job, but I just haven't found them yet. What would be useful is if the places that sell them would publish brightness figures.

#5 ·
Hi

Fitted Led Brake lights Yesterday to my 02 9-5 Estate, I was looking at them last night next to the std inner side light and it looks as bright.

But the brake and side light warnings come on the SID only solution would be to disable bulb warning, does anyone have any advise on doing this.

Simon

#7 ·
only solution would be to disable bulb warning[/b]
The correct way is to wire a resistor in parallel with the LED lamps in order to ensure that the monitoring unit sees the correct impedance.

For a 5W sidelight I would recommend a 33ohm, 25W resistor.
For a 21W stop lamp an 8 or 10ohm, 50W.

I've upped the power rating in order to avoid them becoming too hot, but it would still be advisable to bolt the resistors to the chassis to aid heat dissipation.

Which lamps did you buy and from whom?

#8 ·
The correct way is to wire a resistor in parallel with the LED lamps in order to ensure that the monitoring unit sees the correct impedance.

For a 5W sidelight I would recommend a 33ohm, 25W resistor.
For a 21W stop lamp an 8 or 10ohm, 50W.

I've upped the power rating in order to avoid them becoming too hot, but it would still be advisable to bolt the resistors to the chassis to aid heat dissipation.

Which lamps did you buy and from whom?[/b]

Hi Thanks for info

I bought the bulbs off ebay the shop is at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Car-Led-Lighting and they are the 24 led Bulbs

#9 ·
Hi Thanks for info

I bought the bulbs off ebay the shop is at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Car-Led-Lighting and they are the 24 led Bulbs[/b]
Very interesting- I bought indicator lamps off him recently and returned them because they were way too dim. To be fair he refunded without any quibble, and the sidelight LEDs he does are very good but I do think there should be something to stop people selling unsuitable products that would fail an MOT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.