Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Saab 9-5 Recall/Customer Satisfaction Programme

75K views 66 replies 42 participants last post by  quinophex 
#1 ·
I've just had a letter from Saab dealer in Reading advising me that my 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero is "affected by a Customer Satisfaction Programme 15444 relating to teh Ignition Discharge Module" and that I should book a time to drop in and see them.

Anyone got any info on this?

A

#27 ·
Does this work have to be carried out by a franchised Saab dealer? On my letter it just states "authorised dealer" or similar. The reason I ask is that my car will be going to my normal indie for a service soon so I could ask them to carry out the recall work.

#30 ·
Following advice on this site I took my 9 5 Aero (bought second hand 2 weeks ago from a used car lot - ie not Saab dealer) to the local Saab Agent and asked them to check the DI cassette. They did, and swapped it for me. No letter from Saab, no charge and no problems. Westcoast Saab in Ainsdale - really helpful people.

#31 ·
Last week my engine management light came on, and I visited by local dealer. IT appeared a vacuum hose had detached itself so was an easy (and cheap) fix. While there I asked about the DI cassette recall, I have a 2000 car which had a replaceent DI cassette in mid 2005. The delaer checked the chassis number (and not the DI cassette serial no.) and pronounced that I was entitled to a new DI cassette, so I had a new one fitted and I have the one that was on the car in the boot now (as an emergency backup), so overall a good result.

Mr Perceptive

#32 ·
I had to replace my DI just over a year ago (Christmas Eve) so hope I can find my invoice as I shall be claiming as well.[/b]
Found my old invoice and went to the dealer for my check. The 'new' one was ok so did not need changed but they are sending off a copy of the invoice from Dec 05 to Saab for a refund.

As long as saab uk don't come up with a reason for not paying it will be a good result.

#33 ·
The dealer checked the chassis number (and not the DI cassette serial no.) and pronounced that I was entitled to a new DI cassette, so I had a new one fitted and I have the one that was on the car in the boot now (as an emergency backup), so overall a good result.

Mr Perceptive[/b]
Took mine to Humberside Saab recently after getting a recall letter, and was told that the cassette was fine*. I asked beforehand if I could keep the old one if it was faulty - "No, we have to destroy the old ones, in case people start putting them on eBay etc". I can sort of see their point. It would make an interesting case in the courts if it came out that Saab had allowed recall parts back out, and they had been sold on only to fail later, causing an accident for example.

Incidentally, the cassette serial number was checked first, this being the deciding factor, not the chassis number, so overall, I think you did rather well there Mr Perceptive. Nice one.
A spare as well...

* I think I know why. The cassette was replaced under previous ownership after it failed, a full blown recovery job. All nicely documented in the history.

#36 ·
Neil - That's an excellent result

Always good to hear specific examples of true customer service and if I were closer to Dunstable I'd be inclined to use them on the basis of your experience alone. Squire Furneaux also have a Saab dealership in Welwyn Garden City which is much nearer to me, but I wonder would they be as good as Dunstable. Doesn't always automatically follow....

#37 ·
Neil - That's an excellent result

Always good to hear specific examples of true customer service and if I were closer to Dunstable I'd be inclined to use them on the basis of your experience alone. Squire Furneaux also have a Saab dealership in Welwyn Garden City which is much nearer to me, but I wonder would they be as good as Dunstable. Doesn't always automatically follow....
[/b]
I used SF in WGC for the first four years of my car's life and have no serious complaints on their service other than them calling me up whilst the car was in for service and telling me I needed new wipers when I had replaced the wipers only two weeks beforehand! They also told me that my power steering hoses were "weeping" and should be replaced at a cost of £400+. That was 4 years ago and I told them not to bother - I have never had to replace any steering fluid since.
When my gearbox was rebuilt they did loan me a brand new Aero estate for the two weeks it took.
When my alarm kept going off a technician came out and diagnosed the tilt sensor on Tech II, he also, at my request, removed the SID unit for me - all at no charge.

So, it's swings and roundabouts.........

Neil

#38 ·
So, it's swings and roundabouts.........

Neil[/b]

Yeh, I guess that sums it really. When you use the same dealer for four years or more, it's odds-on you'll get that occasional scary call ("we recommend you should have the x replaced, sir....") Attention to detail and looking after customer's interests is good ; touting for unnecessary work : NOT good.....

thanks for the feedback

#40 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am just reading through a few of the postings. On the subject of the DI cassette, my local dealer WesternSaab, recomend that the spark plugs are also changed when the DI is changed. They have experience of not changing the plugs and the new DI failing again in a matter of weeks. Apparently, when a DI starts to fail it can cause damage to the plugs which in turn causes damage to any subsequent DI fitted. Not sure if there is any truth to the story, but it's worth pushing for new plugs on a waranty repair.

#41 ·
On the subject of the DI cassette, my local dealer WesternSaab, recomend that the spark plugs are also changed when the DI is changed. They have experience of not changing the plugs and the new DI failing again in a matter of weeks. Apparently, when a DI starts to fail it can cause damage to the plugs which in turn causes damage to any subsequent DI fitted. Not sure if there is any truth to the story, but it's worth pushing for new plugs on a waranty repair.[/b]
This is true. It is good advice to change sparkplugs at same time as DI.

I changed the DI on my Saab 9-3 a couple of years ago - we checked the plugs and there was a brown line where it had been arcing across the ceramic - so all plugs changed at same time.

Plugs are so cheap ( NGK BCPR7ES-11 ) that it is a false economy not to change them when you are changing the DI cassette.

#42 ·
Found my old invoice and went to the dealer for my check. The 'new' one was ok so did not need changed but they are sending off a copy of the invoice from Dec 05 to Saab for a refund.

As long as saab uk don't come up with a reason for not paying it will be a good result.[/b]
Got my cheque a couple of weeks ago (just before my holiday) from NVS Harrogate - took a couple of months but Saab paid up

#43 ·
I thought I'd let you know my little saga that started yesterday......

Got home after a trip out, parked MY 01 95 Aero on the drive, went indoors and then popped out again ten minutes later. To my dismay
the car refused to start (engine was turning over OK, just not firing)

Having got my indie to take a look, he felt that it was ignition relatd as there was plenty of fuel at the fuel rail. He suspected the CPS or the DI cassette and he suggested checking out the Saab forum where one of the first topics I came across was this one. So, I rang Saab GB as I only purchased the car in January and it has not been to a Saab dealer yet.

They told me the car was due a recall but due to change of ownership I had not received this. I then phoned my local Saab dealer, Buckingham Stanley, Cambridge who, after some discussion, agreed to let me bring in the current DI unit in exchange for a new one to see if this was the problem. On fitting the new DI unit, to my delight,
it started first time

So, a big THANKS to Buckingham Stanley
, Saab GB and Saabscene for a quick result.

#44 ·
If you are not sure if your car is affected by any recall or "service campaign" I suggest you bypass customer services and call the saab recall centre directly on 01189 458430. They are very helful. Out of interest to others with the same year car I can confirm that my 95 aero estate "52" plate but 03 model year is not the subject of any recalls

Julian

#45 ·
A quick thank you to this site - and the good stuff that often gets posted on here. Cut a long story short, DI failed on my 9-5 18 months ago in Chesterfield (not at all embarrassing in the centre of a very busy crossroads on a saturday afternoon). AA towed me to Nottingham Saab where the very sound and helpful Weston opened up his premises to secure the car over the weekend.

I kept the original DI and the invoices, and monitored what was happening with the issue generally on here. On this basis and armed with the facts from here, I pursued it with Saab GB over the last couple of months. It's taken a few emails etc to chivvy them along but the bottom line? They refunded me £174 this week. Not bad for a part that broke 18 months ago, after 130K on a then, 5 year old car! They initially rejected my claim 18 months ago, but armed with details of the CSP and the affected batch numbers etc from here, they coughed up.....

Unfortunately after 6 Saabs in a row I no longer have a Saab, but if I ever do again, I'll be using Nottingham Saab.

Happy Saabing....

#46 ·
Hi,

I got the recall notice even though I had just sold my 9-5.

I applied to Saab Customer Services for a refund and they have refused stating they need to inspect the vehicle to ensure my replacement IDM was actually fitted to that car! This despite the fact I have an invoice for the part with the Reg. No. of the vehicle on and the car as completely immobilised (AA attended) they say I could have bought the part and fitted it to another car! I also have invoices for the failure of the Cat (Saab dealer repaired) as part of the same breakdown!

Anyone any ideas as to my best next step. Local dealer who repaired the Cat is adopting shoulder shrugging stance. I am sure I can get a report from the AA but should it really come to that and I still will not be able to 'present the car at my nearest dealer'

The car was traded in and I have no idea of the present owner.

#47 ·
Inspect the vehicle? What would that prove? If you were dishonest (and you sound honest to me from the evidence you can provide!), you could just swap the IDM for a known good one for the purposes of the inspection then swap it back.

Clearly, from the evidence that you have, yours is a legitimate request - so why are they being so awkward? All for the sake of saving themselves a hundred quid? This is ridiculous.

Why is your dealer not helping you?

This is out of order, IMO.

#48 ·
Quick update, sent them a detailed letter (again) detailing the sequence of events and how if I had not replaced the IDM there would still be a Saab 9-5 at the roadside but also asking them what they thought my motivation would be for buying an IDM and fitting to another vehicle!
They have agreed to refund the cost of the IDM but not the subsequent cat failure so I guess I will take that and move on. Anyone else having trouble just keep trying!

#49 ·
Hi Newbee here,
I have followed this thread closely and this is what i've done:-
A) called SAAB GB customer services on 0845 300 9593. I gave them my registration
and they immediately told me there was an outstanding re-call on my car.
They asked me to contact the Recall centre on 01189 458 430 to get a letter sent out to my address.
B) Recall centre confirmed IDM needs replacing and sent me letter asked me to contact local dealer
to book in car all i have to do is present them with the letter.

I will definately have the spark plugs changed while they replace the IDM unit.

PS: mines a 2000 model 9-5 aero Hirsch Troll 23R.
So it does affect older cars as well.

#51 ·
Hi Folks,
a newbie here.
I found this thread two weeks ago.
Read up and followed JD's advice.
Contacted Saab UK recall line as previously posted on the Tuesday, got a local Saab dealers telephone number and the campaign reference over the phone. My Saab is a 2000 on a W plate Aero HOT estate with 123k on the clock (I only bought it on Sept 7th), and yes was affected, and no had not been done.
Booked it in that day for the following Monday with D Salmon cars in Colchester.
Got the letter from Saab on the Thursday prior to the planned dealer visit, and took in the relevant NGK platinum tipped sparks to be fitted at the same time.
Cost me £10.40 for the plugs to be fitted, and a whole raft of "items to do" were highlighted when I collected the car, but hey they had washed and hoovered it!!
I've since done the rear indicator bulb, and the oil filter and oil change which were highlighted, and I'm off to Abbott on thursday to check out if the back end really does have shot top and bottom bushes, if not then I'll go for the Bilsteins and Abbott springs combo and report back in due course.
Keep up the good work in highlighting the issues guys. What a brilliant forum this is.
Happy Saabing,
MattSnap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.