Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

SAAB Infotainment systems

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  andylev 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you can buy infotainment systems cheaper then main dealer price as my car as the ES2 which is absolutely [expletive deleted] in my opinion, Im looking for the ES3 i think - basically I want the one that you can have the ipod connection and the mobile phone functions work, as I have pointless buttons on my steering wheel that do jack poo

Mr frustrated as saab radios arent what you call premium quality yet the price seems horrendous.

#2 ·
The Aux connection (if fitted) should work on all systems. If the aux point is fitted in the the centre console but not working it is a Tech II adjustment at the dealers. If not fitted it is relatively easy to do yourself. have a look here. iPod, Aux etc

Just upgrading to ES3 will not enable the phone buttons, they only work if you have the integrated phone installed (an extremely expensive option), not a third party hands free kit.

There are quite a few threads on upgrading the sound system by replacing speakers if you do a search.

HTH

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, can I just ask, does the aux lead fit with the saab audio unit basically I only have the saab audio unit not one of the flashy infortainment systems

As PLP told me it probably wouldnt fit - but i dont believe them....

Does anyone have any ideas

Regards

#4 ·
I see that even Dixons (sorry, Curious Digits) in the High Street are selling the soon to be legalised radio adapter for iPod - so if ipod is your main reason for change that might be the best way. I think it takes the ipod output, converts to a low power FM radio transmission which you tune your car radio to on an otherwise unused frequency. Transferrable between cars of course.

(one day, he dreams, all this will be history. Cars will not have cd or tape or even ipod, maybe a radio for real time. A few gigabyte compact flash card and a wi-fi link, so when it is parked in the drive you can load tunes from your pc via your wifi network. Must be cheaper than all the mechanical gubbins that you need to play a cd, and takes up less space so we can have an expresso machine in the dash instead .... must stop now, men in white coats arriving)

#5 ·
...but it won't work like that The car makers will include the computer in the car and expect you download things to it. It will probably be a basic Pentium 2 (well the bits were designed in and ordered a year or so back to be ready for 2010) and they will charge it as a top of the range current system say £3000?

Look at the history of Saab. The 9-3 has a built-in phone option at (last time I looked) of £600 - with little additional function than a bottom of the range deal from Carphone Warehouse at £22.95 - plus a carkit at £60 say from ebay - £100 all in.

#6 ·
Satnav another example of pre ordered obsolete technology - I bet I could buy a whole new stand alone system each year for the price of the upgrade DVD for any in car system, SAAB being no worse/better than anyone else. Back to tunes, not everyone has a wifi network, but hey, here's a thought, big traffic jam, share files between cars, all tap steering wheel to same tune ... SAABs on channel 11, BMW on channel 12 ....

OK .. I know it won't work like that - but to sleep, perchance to dream .....

(sorry to get off original question, better stop now)

#8 ·
Hornets nest here....(oh dear too many Leffes)

I know a few people have complained about the systems in our 9-3s and 9-5s.... but once they are fitted to the car they can only be fitted in similar models and those in 9-3s theoreticallt cannot be used in any other car......

with a phone at least you can 'hire' a handset and carry it around with you....

but a navigation system I am hearing about warnings about the portable systems that can be carried in cradles that have become attractive to thieves. Unless you remove any traces of the cradle including wiring and suction marks on windows potential thieves will notice which cars have these systems or not....

plus who would want to carry around a SatNav screen with them all the time...

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Hornets nest here....(oh dear too many Leffes)

I know a few people have complained about the systems in our 9-3s and 9-5s.... but once they are fitted to the car they can only be fitted in similar models and those in 9-3s theoreticallt cannot be used in any other car......

with a phone at least you can 'hire' a handset and carry it around with you....

but a navigation system I am hearing about warnings about the portable systems that can be carried in cradles that have become attractive to thieves. Unless you remove any traces of the cradle including wiring and suction marks on windows potential thieves will notice which cars have these systems or not....

plus who would want to carry around a SatNav screen with them all the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why most insurance companies online ask if you have Sat Nav that and the fact that its a bl***y distraction to most people who have enough difficulty driving in a straight line and moving back into the left lane after overtaking

#10 ·
The model of my car is an 05 plate aero 2.0T with the bottom spec audio unit with the 7 speaker system. So if you know whether the saab auxilliary lead for the ipod will fit to the back of this unit then i would be really happy cos then i could order it with confidence.

#11 ·
Yes it does.

To make a final check remove the ACC panel(it pulls out quite easily) the EHU is behind this, the AUX cable fits into the EHU. A common mistake has been to look behind the audio controls to connect it. If you look at S Gould's threads this is explained more clearly.

HTH

#12 ·
Many thanks, I shall go and have a look and hopefully order it later today...

Im guessing it will still need to be programmed in by a main dealer? PLP motors have offered to do this and charge only half hours labour

Thanks for the advice, great forum I shall also look at S goulds posts now so I can see whats entailed.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.