Engine Malfunction warning light - help !
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine Malfunction warning light - help !

Saab Newbie

Engine Malfunction warning light - help !

Getting a constant engine malfunction warning light on my '04 2.2TID linear 50K miles.

Very low power output as well and a very strange wooshing sound through the vents when you accelerate. Sounds fine on tickover however. MPG down to 29-30 at the mo. But no other messages shwoing on the dash display.

Last refuel on 02/09 50 odd litres of Texaco Diesel, I only usually fill up at BP or Texaco garages. Only done 50 odd miles since last fill (working from home this week) so very full tank still, but know it was fine on 01/09 as I did a 200 mile motorway run no problem.

Had 18k and 36k service no problem, only issues I've had have been 2 sets of key replacements, flaking dahsboard and replaced down pipe from the engine, which gives the 'tinny' rattling sound - which has returned also.

RTFM says take it in asap, so i will tomorrow into Lime Garages in Leamington, hopefully they'll be able to see me as I've got a hectic week next week.

Any ideas chaps ? Any advice greatly recieved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Newbie

Re: Engine Malfunction warning light - help !

Right - curiosity killed the cat and all !

Just seen some older threads - similar issue, but mentioning checking the fuel filler cap. Have done so reseated it etc.. and low and behold the engine warning light has gone off. Restarted the engine a few times and still all clear.

Taken it for a spin around the block 7 miles or so, and it feels a bit perkier, but not 100%. The whooshing sound is still there and the mpg has gone up to 36mpg for that short run.

Still think I'll drop by and ask the experts.

Saab Newbie

have very similar problem and symptoms on 03 2.2tid although no malfunction light on. ticks over well and whooshing through vents.

suspect some problem with turbo but no other signs of this. only noticed this last night so not had chance to take it anywhere yet

Regular Saab Guy

Hi, (my first reply, just registered).
    I had the engine warning light come on after i had been in stop/go traffic.
    The dealers gadget said it was a pedal switch malfunction.
    When this light came on, the car needed thousands of revs to pull away but was ok at 60-70+.

Hej !

Guessing is not my favourite...
    I would check for airleaks as #1.
    IF I don't have the DTC.

I had the engine warning light come on my 52 plate 2.0t Vector this afternoon, but no warning on the SID. After 5 minutes of reading the forum, I reseated the fuel filler cap and it was like Paul Daniels had waved his wand. No light - and that's magic! Cheers guys.

Saab Newbie
    I had a similar problem on my '06 Sportwagon. Following a diagnostic check at the dealer, it turned out to be a blocked 'Particulate Filter'. Since replacement, the engine has run perfectly. This may - or may not - be relevant! Good luck!

Whilst driving home from Devon in nose to tail traffic the engine malfunction light came on and when we finally got going again noticed that we didnt have any power and that the car had gone into 'limp home mode'. We managed to get home and then had a look on this forum for some ideas.

We tried the fuel cap, but that didn't work and whilst my husband was fiddling around with the car, had a fiddle around with the accelerator pedal and noticed a cable under the pedal had worked loose around a switch. He pushed this back in and lo and behold the light went out and all back to normal. Not sure what this actually is but am very grateful it worked, so it might be a help to others.

10. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread