Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Engine Malfunction Light & temporary loss of power

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mattsaab 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am new to Saab's and have just joined as I have bought a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE TiD.
Hopefully some of you can help me out here with a strange perfomance issue with the diesel engine.

I am occasionally getting the 'Engine Malfunction' warning light coming on and a distinctive lack of power at the same time.
It normally only happends after I slow down from speed and try to pull away again (a roundabout for example).
Normally the problem stops after 10-20 seconds and if I pull over and stop, it is fine again
I have also had the problem that the 'Engine Malfunction' light might stay on and yet the power is fully regained, so a similar problem but slightly differing outcome.

A friend of mine had an identical 9-3 and had a sensor replaced that 'he thinks' was near to the turbo which would make sense as it feels like it is a turbo sensor perhaps not working or playing up.

He unfortunately doesn't have his Diesel 9-3 anymore so we cannot check his service/repair history, but I am hoping someone here can throw some light on the problem before I throw £££ money £££ at it

Does anyone have any ideas or experienced this before?
Thanks
Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
I had something pretty similar with my '98 9-3 TiD which turned out to be a combination of a sticking EGR valve in the manifold and a fault in the EGR valve control solenoid. Taking the EGR valve out of the manifold is pretty simple - only two "star top"? bolts hold it in place - and giving it a good clean with a tooth brush may sort things for you. If it still persists then the control solonoid could be the culprit. Trace the hose back from the EGR valve until you get to the solonoid valve which is just behind the battery. Pretty easy to replace yourself, but the part is about £90.

I f you have a look into the manifold you may be surprised at the amount of sooty crud in there. if there is a lot it could be the butterfly valve in the manifold is not closing off properly (there is a sensor which checks this). This could also be the problem.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Thanks Robert, that was a quick reply and now you mention EGR valve.... bells are begining to ring for my friend who I said had the similar thing!! I will give it a go tommorow and clean the valve and manifold as that could be all thats wrong!

He tell's me they just changed it at his Saab dealer, didn't clean it, but then his was a fleet car at the time and time is money for them!

Anyway, I appreciate the pointer and will go buy another star screwdriver set (how many have I lost already??!!!) and give it a go.

Thanks again Robert ,
Matt
Will let you know the result as soon as I know the outcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.