Aero's and Torque Steer
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aero's and Torque Steer

Saab Newbie

Aero's and Torque Steer

Hello,

I have a friend with an automatic Aero (don't know the year?), purchased 2nd hand, 35k miles. It seems to have developed very severe Torque Steer. It has been back to the local dealership and the tracking has been looked at. I seem to remember that there was a 'service bulletin' (I think that's what Saab call them) that did something to the steering geometry to correct this. I suppose that it's something akin to the Hirsch kit that they produced for the viggens to stop this.

Anyway if Aero owners know of this could you supply details, the bulletin would be handy because She can go back to the dealer to see if this was done.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Re: Aero's and Torque Steer

From my own experience, Aeros will suffer from Torque steer - you have 230/250bhp going through the front wheels so it is bound to suffer particularly from "tram lining". The problem is made worse by worn tyres or incorrect pressures. A 4 wheel alignmet will also reduce the effect.

Wastegate

I'm not aware of any service bulletins like this, and my Aero is fine, but it's a 2003.

for 2002 (i think), the suspension, hubs, brakes etc were all changed, so maybe the later ones don't have such a pronounced problem.

Of maybe it's that I've have a 9000 Aero for over 10 years, and a Carlsson for the 4 years before that means I've become accustomed....

Andrew

Saab Nut

I've got an 05 Auto 2.0 LPT Estate with Hirsch Stage 1, and it torque steers all over the place. Traction's not brilliant either, but it is asking a lot to put 200+ BHP through the front wheels. As for the totally feel less steering...

Cheers

Saab Junior

My 99 95 Aero Estate is very prone to torque steer when the tyres are worn.

So much so that before I got the last set fitted I had it into SAAB to tell me what was wrong with it - couldnt find anything - replaced tyres and it was sweet as a nut

Saab Newbie

Not noticed anything out of the ordinary on my 01 Aero manual.

Saab Anorak

Our Aero is torque steering worse than usual due to the cold weather - the tyres break grip with very throttle at the moment. Apparently the properties of the tyre change below a certain temperature.

Banned

If you can't get sufficient heat into a tyre it won't reach its proper operating temperature.

You could use a super-sticky racing compound but in the winter it would give less grip than a road biased tyre because it doesn't generate sufficient heat for the compound to work effectively. Therefore in winter, it takes a lot longer for the tyres to come up to temp meaning less mechanical grip so more wheel spin / torque steer. If you run super soft compound tyres they may never come up to temperature in the winter!!!

Saab Nut

[ QUOTE ]
    If you run super soft compound tyres they may never come up to temperature in the winter!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you run harder compound tyres, they may not either... Winter (not Snow) Tyres, use a compound that will allow the tyre to remain supple (and soft) in the cold weather, generating more heat and giving better grip. Winter tyres are designed to come up to temperature in colder conditions.

Like other drivers in Motorsport, I used to use softer compounds in colder weather, in order to minimise the cold and maximise heat, and harder compounds in hot weather, to maximise grip and avoid excessive wear.

Rally Tyre Compounds

I use these on my Subaru (Std OEM) and have no problems. They're a road/track tyre, and work brilliantly in the cold weather we're having at the moment:

[edit] oversize image removed by admin in consideration of dialup users.

Banned

Like all things in life....it's a compromise.

As an aside......

One of the bike mags did some winter testing with a variety of tyres ranging from sticky track bised tyres to a general purpose tyre (Bridgestone BT010/014.)The general road tyre beat everything hands-down as the track-biased compounds just couldn't generate enough heat for the compound to work! Also, the road tyres have deeper tread allowing them to squirm which in itself generates more heat.

Saab Nut

[ QUOTE ]
    it's a compromise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you compromise and the tyre industry will continue to make Winter tyres from softer compounds that do generate heat...

Banned

I think we're actually saying the samething aren't we?

I'm not saying that soft compounds are exclusively for the summer/track. My point is that you need a tyre that is appropriate for the conditions.

Most people use 1 tyre all year round which will be compromised - it has to deliver good grip, warm-up reasonably quickly, have a decent life-span, be capable of multiple heat cycles ( unlike competition tyres ), have a tread pattern that can move to generate heat but doesn't close up so that it can dispel water.

We're not talking like for like -I'm refering to sticky track biased tyres being ineffective in the winter - you're talking about winter performance tyres made of a soft compound.

Also, - it's not just about having a soft compound to generate grip... carcass construction that has a significant impact on how the tyre behaves and how it generates it's grip.

Saab Nut

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not saying that soft compounds are exclusively for the summer/track.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm saying that it's harder, not softer compounds that are used in Summer/track tyres... No matter.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hello,

I have a friend with an automatic Aero (don't know the year?), purchased 2nd hand, 35k miles. It seems to have developed very severe Torque Steer. It has been back to the local dealership and the tracking has been looked at. I seem to remember that there was a 'service bulletin' (I think that's what Saab call them) that did something to the steering geometry to correct this. I suppose that it's something akin to the Hirsch kit that they produced for the viggens to stop this.

Anyway if Aero owners know of this could you supply details, the bulletin would be handy because She can go back to the dealer to see if this was done.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

After a slight thread hijack, back to the original question.

It would help more if we new what year Aero it was, but I can't say I've ever really noticed and major torque-steer issues with my MY04 Aero automatic....

I'd also would say Aero's can be very susceptable to inconsistant tyre pressures.

I'm also not aware of any such service bulletin or for that matter any Hirsch mod specifically for the Viggen to correct it's problems. Abbott Racing invented the famous 'Viggen Rescue Kit' of the rack clamp and other bits....

Turbo Talker

Tyre choice is critical as is the wear. My 9-3 Aero on ContiSport Contact 2s was fabulous when the tyres were new, now the fronts are down to about 3mm, combined with the cold roads & generally poor traction from salt & [expletive deleted] all over the surface, it's torque-steering like a b..... again, especially on uneven roads. Despite all my suspension & steering mods.

Some tyre compounds seem to get a bit harder as they wear, and this seems to make a difference, or maybe it's the fact that the tread blocks can't flex as much as when they're new.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast