Remote Key Fob problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Key Fob problems

Saab Newbie

Remote Key Fob problems

Hi all.

The car I got recently had 2 spare keys with a remote key fob on each.

Neither of them worked so I assumed the battery was flat. Changed the batter on one for a new battery same type, but they still do not work.

Reading the manualit says the car display will alert me to when the battery is going flat, I assume if nothing is done about this it goes away, needless to say I was not receiving and have not received the message regards the keyfob battery.

I have cleared the computer, holding for the 2 beeps, but this made no change.

Anyone know how I can see if these are working or not, or if I need to do something else to re-activate them with the car?

Thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Nut

Re: Remote Key Fob problems

Spottedhaggis,
    Depending on which remote you have i.e. integral with the key or a seperate unit, it difficult to tell whether it's working. If it's integral to the key, as mine is, then there's no way of knowing, but if you have a seperate unit then there is a green light which illuminates when the unit is transmitting.

You may of course have the same problem as I had last year. I was getting some kind of interference from a larger transmitter when parked beside my house, and the remote didn't work. But if I parped 100 yards down the road then it worked fine. Have you tried the remote when you've had the car in different locations? Could be something like a ham radio, mobile phone mast, wireless alarm system in a nearby property.

Saab Anorak

[ QUOTE ]
    Spottedhaggis,
    ...But if I parped 100 yards down the road then it worked fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Saab Nut

I need a spell checker!!

Saab Newbie

Hi,

ok, I changed the batter and it now has a brand new battery. There does not appear to be any location for a visible LED though, the fob is identical to this one, seen on ebay.

I cannot see anything wrong with the internal board at all, nothing looks fried,.

Is it at all possible that after it not being used for such a long time that the car now ignores the fob, and somehow I need to marry the fob and car up again?

I dunno, just a logical thought, lol.

I cant see why 2 fobs would both be busted?

Full throttle

When I changed the battery in my "banana" fob, I had to have two or three goes at it. I found that you could screw the two halves together while the circuit board was not located properly. Everything looked OK but the little rubber buttons on the casing were not touching the actual switch on the edge of the circuit board when pressed. Everything needs to be absolutely spot on. Half a millimetre out and it won't work. Double check that the circuit board is sat right down in all the locating lugs.

Saab Nut

There is another issue that could cause this problem, when removing the ignition key from the centre consol, the barrel of the lock should pop up flush with the outer rim of the lock, however in some older cars the barrel does not quite finish its travel and will stop about a 1 mm short of the top. The key will still come out but the DICE (or is it TWICE) does know the key has been removed, this causes issues with the remote central locking and other electrical systems!

Check the barrel of the lock is coming up flush with the outer edge, if it is not, DO NOT lubricate with WD40 or similar as this will decrease the friction between the key and the lock barrel, it is the interaction between the key and the lock barrel that pulls the barrel up to the correct position. There is a fix using a small amount graphite powder on outer circumference of the lock barrel, but before we go there lets check whether this is the cause of your problem, if this is the problem you could try taking out the key using a little sideways pressure on it, so increasing the friction between the lock and the barrel, just to establish if the lock barrel can be made to come all the way up.

Oh and by the way if I am right on this I think it makes me worthy of my fith star?

Saab Newbie

ok. Well, I removed the board, and tried pushing the buttons directly on the board, nothing, placed it back into the fob case, can hear click as button is pressed, nothing.

Went into car, placed key into ignitions, checked it was flush, it is flush, and note its not stiff either.

Nothing.

Sorry to dissapoint u but its still not working

Saabisti

Can you not stick the key in the ignition, and turn the ignition on,press the buttons on the remote and it will show you a code on the SID. Does this not indicate that the key is communicating.
    I have just read my owners manual. it says, if you are not able to lock or unlock the car by remote, it could be that the code signal is not synchronised, press the unlocking button 4 times in succession. It also says that this should be done after replacing the battery, but make sure you are beside the car

Saab Nut

Question same topic..

i have the '00 type remote (banana style)
    can i have the '01 '02 key remotes tech IId to my twice unit??
    thanks

I have the opposite question... 2001 9-3 SE, and I got one key with it (integrated buttons). I would prefer a flat key and a key fob (I see plenty of key fobs on ebay).

So I would have to do the following:

1) Get one or two of the key fobs on ebay.
    2) Get my current key duplicated by a locksmith (just the metal part on a blank they will presumably have and be able to cut).
    3) Go to my dealer and get them to marry the key fobs to the TWICE / DICE / Whatever.

Any problems with this plan? Do the better locksmiths have plain metal (no buttons in them) blanks and can they duplicate them? Does the FOB have the necessary bits built in just like my key does?

Thanks all... just got this car, love it, and have been learning tons from this forum..

Saabisti
    Thats interesting about pressing the button 4 times after changing the battery, I'll have to try that. I am now using the banana remote that was previously my spare one, the original just stopped working and would not work with a new battery.

Also I have had the message on the SID before to change the battery, but not so long ago the battery failed without it giving me a warning. I was in a car park and could open doors with the key but could not stop the alarm going off!

I managed to run to a Woolworths just before it closed, buy a new battery, undo the remote using one of their screwdrivers in the hardware dept., then fit the new battery.
    So now I keep a spare CR2032 battery in the seat front pocket in case this happens again. But I cant guarantee I will have a screwdriver handy at the time!

Vern..

Check the barrel of the lock is coming up flush with the outer edge, if it is not, DO NOT lubricate with WD40 or similar as this will decrease the friction between the key and the lock barrel, it is the interaction between the key and the lock barrel that pulls the barrel up to the correct position. There is a fix using a small amount graphite powder on outer circumference of the lock barrel, but before we go there lets check whether this is the cause of your problem, if this is the problem you could try taking out the key using a little sideways pressure on it, so increasing the friction between the lock and the barrel, just to establish if the lock barrel can be made to come all the way up.[/b]
    Hi,

After trawling through the site, this describes exactly the problem that I'm having with my remote keyfob.

If I wiggle the key about in the "lock" position before engaging reverse gear to remove the key, the remote central locking works fine.

What is this fix which uses graphite powder on the outer circumfrence of the lock barrel? How do you do it?

Thanks,

What is this fix which uses graphite powder on the outer circumfrence of the lock barrel? How do you do it?[/b]
    I did much as the procedure sgould linked to describes but would add the following notes:

- the cover twists clockwise to release it

- I used a PTFE impregnated spray oil so the lubrication properties won't dry out like WD40 does over time.

- I made sure that the oil was applied only to the outer section and not down the key slot.

17. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast