Wiper arms keep coming loose!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Make.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiper arms keep coming loose!

Saabisti

Wiper arms keep coming loose!

Hey everyone,

Well, with the colder temperatures setting in around here, having windscreen wipers that function well is more important than ever. Unfortunately, I've noticed that the bolts that hold my wiper arms to the motor things (I don't know what they're called!) keep coming loose. They usually come loose when the windscreen has ice and or snow on it. I try to remove as much as I can by hand before I start the car, but still...

Is there anything you guys know that works for this problem? Perhaps bigger bolts? Some magical glue product?

Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Saab Afficionado

Re: Wiper arms keep coming loose!

Rocky,
    The arms fit unto a chamfer,check that both the inside of the arm and the drive shaft are clean and oil free,It may be worth giving both a rub with a piece of emery paper,just to rough the surfaces up a little,bolt down and all should be well.If however the blades are frozen to the screen,you are flogging a dead donkey,if you succeed in stopping the arms moving,you will burn out the motor
    mike

Saabisti

Aha! a chamfer... that's what it's called...

I'll try what you suggested this weekend. I just tightened them with a socket wrench, and so far no problems. That's true, I suppose... better to have the wiper arms come loose than burn out the motor!

thanks!

Motor Mouth

Aren't the driveshafts on the wiper shafts actually ridged to help lock the arms on firmly? If they've slipped a few times it might be that the soft alloy of the wiper arm base has worn and the hole is getting a bit large.

I did find on one of my previous 9000s that the wiper nuts dont tighten up properly if you try to tighten them up with the blade lying against the windscreen.

Saab Nut

StephenA is right, the arms fit onto straight grooves, if your fitment isn't right you have to lift the whole arm off and slot it back placed differently on the grooves, there's no rotating an arm back and forth to get it right when it's on the chamfered drive shaft. And the arms have to be lifted into their up-off-the-screen position BEFORE you tighten any fixture!! If the chamfered shafts are burred there's no fixing them. They HAVE to be replaced. Beware MOT time if you don't.

Saab Afficionado

Yep - the wiper arms slot over a 'splined' drive shaft. If securing nut comes loose, the arms will fail to turn and could churn some of the spline ends off.

Due to sping tension in securing end of wiper arm, if nut is loose the arm tends to push itself off of the splined drive, which largely disconnects the arm from the drive.

Clean up splines, and retighten nut securely should do the trick - try some locknut if really necessary, and splines quite badly damaged (as they will be if joint leftloose for too long!)

Happened on one of my earlier 9000's after 140k miles ish.

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread