Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Accordian Slide or Jalousie replacement

25K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  cascade 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 9-3 Convertable, Automatic transmission with leather gear selector or shifter handle. I am trying to replace part #4777173 known as an Accordian Slide or Jalousie. It is the black plastic piece that slides and covers the geaar shifter slot. #2 in the picture below. I need to remove the gear selector to replace. I have seen some post stating there is a small torque screw by the release on the shifter, but mine does not have it. There is a strange slot down on the shifter where it attaches under the console. Any help on removal would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The small slot is a button that can be pressed in with the end of the key. It will allow the selector to be moved from P in an emergency.

I dont know the 9-3, but the arrangement looks similar to the 9-5. In that you start by prising up the rubber ring "beading" surrounding the selector area.

#3 ·
There's a small torx screw holding the two parts of the selector lever together at the top of the lever on the side facing the radio, which is accessed by moving the lever to N or D. You then need to unsolder the sport selector button. With the lever out of the way, the casing and jalouise just lift up.

#4 ·
Mark,

I have looked and looked for the small torx screw on the top front of the shifter and can not locate it. Is the the same procedure for a leather covered shifter as in the picture above? I have moved the lever all the way back for an even better look. i must be blind or this shift lever is different than the procedure you described. Thanks!

#7 ·
Thanks Mark. You are awesome. Best info I found so far. I finally located the screw. I was pulling the shifter all the way for a better look and the release button covered the screw unless it was in Drive or Neutral. i need to read more closely. I ended up just cheating and cut the right side of the accordian slide with a razor blade to fit around the shifter. Not correct but much easier and no one will know the difference.

#9 ·
just what i was looking for...today while vacuuming around the selector suddenly one end of the jalousie disappear inside the selector housing... i ended up making a small cut with a razor like winnerman suggested ...and then "stitching" two pieces together with a super glue and a stripe cut out of a plastic bottle...the supporting stripe is glued to the underside so you cant see anything on top...saved me $30 for a new jalousie :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.