Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

My 2005 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector Sport

Tags
2005 sport
37K views 105 replies 7 participants last post by  pandp 
#1 ·
Just recently bought this. As some of you will know its come with a few issues, I won't list them because it depresses me

I'm determined to make this perfect

See less See more
#60 ·
Just back from the garage and £400 lighter. Had all the suspension bits fitted that I supplied, also had a new flexi pipe fitted and found I do actually have a dpf.

Car felt so much better on the drive home and that metallic clang I got over every bump has completely gone.

Just ordered a new silencer which I bought very cheap, I just had to buy it. Has the twin pipes from the box so I'll be getting the dremel out to carve a nice opening.

Have also just got my fumoto oil drain valve which I'll be fitting when I drop the oil next week.

I know I have spent a good bit on this car, over £2500 but it's the car I want and the parts I have replaced should last a long while.

#61 ·
Bloody car, one thing after another. Getting malfunction to parking aid now. Doesn't do it all the time but reading up its another tech2 job. Either a sensor or the module. Spent more than enough so it can wait. Dropping the oil hopefully tomorrow and fitting my fumoto oil valve. Got new front discs and pads coming and then I have a mid section exhaust coming and to finish off I'll be fitting this

Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Muffler Pipe

Time to get the dremel out ?

#65 ·
Just an update to my thread. Did an oil change a couple of weeks ago and fitted the quick drain tap. I managed to sort the poor running....embarrassing really as it was my error so I'll leave that at that. Took it to my local garage today so they could fit my new brake discs and pads all round and mot it. Passed its mot with flying colours but I'd have been gutted if it had failed with what I have spent on it.

#69 ·
Lol. Just picked it up, £284. Bloody vat kills you. All done now. It was mentioned that my speedo is not reading right which I know. I fitted another only to find it has to be done on tech 2. That's the next job and then I hope I can stop spending, for a while anyway.

#70 ·
Well after spending near to three grand on this car I don't drive it often, mainly due to work. Odd thing happened a couple of weeks ago where the car seemed to lose power. Car seemed to be in limp mode with very slow acceleration. I got an error code aiming towards an air leak. Nothing obvious under the bonnet so I removed the maf to give it a clean. Anyway the maf is a sealed unit not like the ones i have seen where you remove two screws to remove the maf from the cylinder. I still managed to give it a good dose of maf cleaner, took the car out and the eml was gone.
Today whilst driving I hit limp mode again and the eml came back on. Seemed to hit limp mode whilst I was in 5th gear and not travelling very fast, car had to work harder to pick up speed and that's when it threw the eml.
Like I say I don't see anything obvious under the bonnet, egr is clean and a new map sensor recently fitted. Any ideas?

#73 · (Edited)
Unfortunately hesistation problems are very common on the Z19DTH mostly due to sludge.
Some you can tackle easily but the inlet manifold and turbo VNT are bigger jobs.
Summary here
https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?178004-Another-Z19DTH-flat-spot-hesitation-thread
Cheers for the link mate, great read, gives me more things to check over :)

Car seemed to go in to limp mode today and really didn't want to pick up speed. I stopped, turned it off and back on and it ran fine, still no oomph but faster than when it entered limp mode.

#74 ·
Strangely enough on the day I cleaned the throttle body, the Saab puffed a good bit of smoke out after a run on the carriageway. I'm assuming it was the dpf regenerating which I haven't seen happen in a while. Yesterday I gave it another run and it appears to have gained it's oomph again, very strange. Anyway on the off chance the dpf is a little clogged I added some dpf cleaner to the tank. Hopefully it's sorted itself but knowing this Saab, another problem will be along very soon.

#75 ·
At the risk of appearing daft, have you been running the car on supermarket wee? Reason for asking is that I went through quite a few EMS sensors and then a catalyst on a RAV4 I used to have which was fed almost exclusively on supermarket stuff, admittedly a petrol-engined car, but then I had two more after that which were run exclusively on branded juice, mainly Shell, but never gave any problems like the first. I couldn't help thinking that the additives missing from the cut-price supermarket crud had some bearing on the EMS/Cat issues.

Certainly their are lots of anecdotal evidence/opinions on the RAV4 forum that I frequent that suggests that supermarket diesel is to be avoided if you don't want DPF prpblems. For my part I never use supermarket stuff in our Shogun unless it gets a shot of Millers at the same time and the 9-3 is fed only Shell's finest petrol.

#76 ·
If you have a diesel and are doing short trips. , then you brought the wrong car . You should of brought petrol . DPF do not like stop start trips .
I've got a 9-3 150 with DPF , fiat 500 with DPF and a transit van with you guessed it DPF .
Run all 3 on morrisons due to the fact I run a business and have an allstar card , and morrisons are the nearest and cheapest .
And never had any problem with all 3
You just have to educate the Un- educated About why buy a diesel ?

#78 ·
No, the Saab isn't used for short trips, not used too often now as we run the combo cdti most of the time. The main reason I bought the Saab was for the long trips back to Lancashire. Anyway, I think the car just had a little hiccup, been out in it today and it ran fine. I think it regenerated last time and cleared itself. Sometimes I don't use it for two weeks or so depending how much work we get in.

#82 ·
Pandp, I think I hate you! You appear to have the chrome water pipe at the front, the one that doesn't rust like mine did lol! I had to knock all the bubbling rust and paint off mine and repaint it with high temperature paint. Looks ok now, but I'd rather have the chrome!

#85 ·
Just back from my 500 mile round trip. The car was perfect, the weather was terrible. The tyres were unbelievably good. Last year I spent near to three grand on this car, at the time I was gutted but now I'm glad I did because I own a car that looks and performs superb.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Full-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Bumper

Thought I would treat it to a wash after the journey

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Saab 9-3 Sedan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.