Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

New member bad 9-3 help [p242f]

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  aerojon 
#1 ·
Hi,

I know this may not be the right place to post however I am a newbie and first 9-3 with loads of problems once recurring one anyway

P242F PARTICLE FILTER BLOCKED 90% [THIS IS THE 10TH TIME SINCE HAD THE 9-3]

Anyway I recently brought 9-3 150hp 1-9 TID, Does run well for 5 mins..... However after recently purchasing the car I had dash error of particle filter full. No problem I inspected the dpf and it was collapsed all broken up inside. So went and brought a new DPF at cost of 400 GOLDEN NUGGETS [GBP]..[TOLD ECU NEW DPF HAD BEEN FITTED] Before replacing the dpf it had a full service with new glow plugs and a full egr and inlet manifold clean..

Great running beautiful for a week, until LIMITED PERFORMANCE LIGHT CAME ON REVS LIMTED AT 3500 RPM and power,

TO LOOK INTO THE MATTER HAVING NOTICED THE DPF WAS BLOCKED WITH CODE P242F, MANUAL REGEN YES SORTED THE PROBLEM AND OFF IT WENT.

2 WEEKS LATER

LIMITED PERFORMANCE , P242F AGAIN. HRMM NOW THIS IS WORRING. FAULTY EGR MAYBE - WRONG OIL - FAILED REGEN?

CHECK THE PIPE BETWEEN DPF PRESSURE SENSOR AND DPF WITH A VACUUM KIT NO LEAKS AT ALL. CHECK THE INLET MANIFOLD. CHOKA BLOCK AGAIN!

CLEANED MAF - MAP THROTTLE BODY, EGR, INTERCOOLER,

REGEN.

SPOT ON WORKING GREAT.

1 WEEK LATER.

LIMTED PERFORMANCE.

OK P242F AGAIN , RIGHT GOING BUY A NEW EGR JUST INCASE.

FITTED REGEN. OIL CHANGE FILTER.

PERFECT WORKING GREAT.

2 WEEKS LATER

LIMITED PERFORMANCE.

P2F2F , CHECK EGR WORKING GREAT SWIRL FLAPS WORKING, THROTTLE BODY WORKING, TOOK EVERYTHING OFF SPOTLESS INSIDE LIKE NEW.

NO CHOICE REGEN.

AGAIN LIMITED PERFORMANCE I FITTED A OIL CATCH IN THE BREATHER SYSTEM JUST I RESTRICTED THE EGR IVE USED CATACLEAN I REPLACED THE DPF PRESSURE SENSOR AND PROGRAMMED IT IN TO ECU

Getting to the point of depression now and even used expensive diesel not cheap supermarket but made no difference..

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT PLEASE HELP.

MUCH APPRECIATED

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all welcome aboard the good ship saabscene .
Just a question , what is your style of driving ? Ie...... Is it short trips round town ? , or country roads ? Or motorways / dual carriageways ? . The style of driving can have a bearing on wether the DPF is ATCHUALLY being allowed to self regen , ( not saying that it's that , that maybe the problem , or that it's your style of driving ) also what sort of MPG are you getting ? .
Have a look at this thread below , because half way down one reply from Kez puts the regen process into laymans terms . Hopefully it helps a little .http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/221002-sudden-mpg-decrease!!!

#3 ·
Hi and welcome. What year is the car? What mileage? Agree entireley with my friend above, style of driving could have a bearing. Mine now gets a motorway run every day to work, not a long one, but enough to get it up to temperature.

You mentioned 'expensive' diesel, all very well using it, but like me, you need to use it all the time, not just the odd or single fill up to notice any benefit. I don't mind paying the extra 8 pence a litre because I'm now getting the whole lot back in increased mpg. I've just this morning hit 500 miles on the trip and I've still got a quarter tank of fuel left from my fill up last Friday week. Oh and with regular use, I've found it does keep soot levels down in the EGR/MAP etc. While I'm on the subject of fuel, have you changed the fuel filter? Probably won't make a shred of difference in your case, but it's an easy job and should be done every 12 to 15 months ideally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.