Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Is Cruise Control more economical than a light right foot?

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  kit-kat 
#1 ·
With the rocketing price of fuel (diesel in my case), I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on cruise control. I tend to set mine at 75mph on the motorway and the SID reads around 42 to 43 mpg. I have found that driving with a gentle right foot without the CC on and varying the speed +/- 5mph with 75mph as the average seems to return better figures. Has anyone else found this or is running with the CC on the most economical way to drive on the motorway?

#2 ·
If you're in charge you will anticipate the road ahead. The cruise cannot do that. So you can avoid acceleration just before a corner, add a bit of speed downhill so you can run up the hill afterwards etc.

Also when you are comparing the two you will be consciously driving economically. The cruise only has one mode.

Probably a more real testis to compare cruise with "normal" driving when you are not thinking about it.

#3 ·
I am by no means a heavy footed driver, but I have found that cruise on our former 9000, and now on the Swiftmobile, makes for an improvement in consumption of fuel on a run, 35+ @ 75. This is no cognitive dissonance!

However, the real point of fitting cruise, IMHO, was for more relaxed driving, although it does make more sense when travelling in the US, or, off peak over here, when there's less stop start and general traffic about.

HTH

#4 ·
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:
[qb] This is no cognitive dissonance! [/qb][/b]
eh You mean you can't see any difference.

Cruise Control is not as efficient as a driver who is concentrating and driving efficiently and economically - but that is easier said than done. For most drivers, cruise control may be more efficient than their driving.

#8 ·
Of course, no offence intended, or implied. (hence ) I am a humble postman, after all. (enough said )

It is an interesting concept, which can be applied to a whole manner of things in daily life, when people try to justify their actions, typically when a football manager makes a bad signing and explains it away as, 'We think the boy will come good in the end' sort of thing. No doubt, everyone can think of similar examples.

I believe that CC has economy benefits from my experience, and as indicated, it is not a question of construing or extenuating facts that are there to prove or fit one's belief.

However, statistically, again in my experience, the gain is less than 5% in MPG (and,of course, £'s at the pump) which does not make it statistically significant.

More is to be gained by having a more relaxed journey, IMHO.

HTH

#9 ·
OK, think I understand what you're saying now

I think you made a point above about CC being more effective in the USA. I'd agree with this on my experience of our congested roads in the UK, short distances between settlements thus many road junctions mean that we are not really able to benefit from CC over long distances.

I like to use CC when I can on long journeys but I find it all depends on the traffic conditions, just as Dan has identified.

#10 ·
In my experience CC helps the economy a tad by stopping me going too fast. OK, I admit I probably set it to most people's view of "too fast" but it stops me going even faster! On my car it's quite gentle in the way it resumes speed after slowing down, whereas my manual approach is to boot the Finite Probability Drive back up to warp factor 10 cruising speed asap. I'm not at all impatient, no...

And as for being less use in the UK, well I do 30K+ a year, mostly on UK motorways, and I use it as much as possible, which is quite a lot.

Another benefit is it helps stop my right knee aching from holding the throttle too far from the floor for comfort on long journeys, my anatomy/shape/driving position seems to prefer foot on/close to the floor

#15 ·
I must admit that since fitting cruise on my gm900 vert (using the helpful guide on here), after driving without for 2 years, has made a big difference to my consumption with SID showing around 4mpg average saving. Like other posters, I find it stops me constantly accelerating everywhere (so easily done with stage 1!) and definitely makes for more relaxed driving

#16 ·
Having broken my v6 and having to use the plan b car (a corsa) my fuel ecconomy has gone from 25 to 40.
However, normally I get 27 ish and my wife gets 24 ish.
This is because I drive more slowly and less agressively than my wife. Not that she's a mad fast driver. I'm just much more relaxed and don't speed.
Also I use cc on most long journeys; set at 70.

#18 ·
As the Prime Minister said...Anticipation anticipation anticipation. Hands up those who would honestly like to get into a car with someone who thinks they have split second reactions.
To be honest lads and laddesses the SID fuel monitoring thingy is probably best left in the gadget department; there are simply too many things that influence fuel consumption.
The only thing I really need to know is when is the damn thing going to run out of motion lotion.
Mind you I do like the 'live' fuel consumption ability, for a second or two.
Easily bored am I.

#19 ·
Fliptop

On my car it's quite gentle in the way it resumes speed after slowing down  [/b]
Not the case with a diesel when you hit resume 50mph-80mph(set speed) 5th gear!! would bring a smile to your face

can sometimes be to quick!!! (must be full power to set speed)

I love cc BUT you do tend to bully other drivers over as you don't want to hit the brake peddle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.