audio quiery [Archive] - Saabscene :: Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource

: audio quiery

joe
11-04-2001, 07:58 AM
I recently fitted a mini disc player to my GM 900. It sounds absolutely [expletive deleted] for the first few minutes. I had it in my previous 900(classic) where it sounded fine. I tried refitting it in my old 900 and it still sounds fine. The factory fitted radio cassette sounds fine in my GM 900 so I think I can rule out the speakers. Would appreciate any suggestions.

StanleyB
11-06-2001, 12:28 PM
How are you getting the sound from the MD player into the SAAB regular audio system? And how did you do it on your other car?
Without that info I can't narrow down the possible reason for your sound distortion.

joe
11-06-2001, 01:53 PM
Stanley b
I bought one of these plug in wiring kits from Halfords. It plugs directly into the Saab audio plugs. I used the same type of kit in the other car as well. It's a case of unplugging the factory fitted unit and plugging in the MD player.

StanleyB
11-07-2001, 03:28 PM
I found out today that the input impedance of the two stereo units are different. So is also the overload headroom. The different stereo units were from different manufacturers.
The NG900 stereo input uses an AGC(= automatic gain control) type circuit. This is because it also has to cope with the CD changer audio signal, which has a higher output.
The stereo takes some time to adapt to the MD output, from there the initial distortion. The Halford's adaptor does not have any impedance matching resistor. I would have to take a walk to Halford's and see what would be the exact way to add that to their adaptor. I'll check this weekend.